Should I bring my detector to Colorado?

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soooo....I'm going on a family vaca this summer to Colorado/Grand Canyon...never really been out that way before, but I can only imagine that it would be amazing detecting territory! Now I've only flown a few times, but even so I've had the awful experience of having my luggage lost. So as much as I wanna bring my AT Pro, I can't afford to have it lost! How do you guys travel with your detectors? Can you bring them on the plane as a carry-on? Is that even allowed? Or do you just put it in with your clothes and hope for the best? ???

Tonto

Oct 14, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab: XT70, XT17000, Sov XS w/S-1 probe
Tesoro: Lobo ST, Toltec II
Whites 4900, Eagle II SL 90, Spectrum XLT
Falcon MD 20, Whites GMT, TDI Pro, Vibraprobe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have disassembled my detector, and packed it with my luggage. You can pad the control box with clothing all around. If you wanted to carry it on, you could search the TSA web site and see whether metal detectors are allowed. So far, I've had no damage or lost luggage, but it's always a gamble.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can carry in your carry on.

Remember it is against law to detect in any national park so be careful carrying it in car.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably know not to detect in National parks. It would be cool to be able to detect on someone's gold claim if you know someone, be awesome to find gold! Where ever you go GL. HH!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Break your detector down. Put the rods and diggers in your checked bag, and the rest in your carryon. no issues with the TSA and that way, if your checked back gets lost, you have only lost the least expensive pieces of your machine.

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great idea! I will do just that, thank you! :)

And yes I'm aware I cannot detect in National Parks...but I'm sure there will be plenty of other places I can find :)

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great idea! I will do just that, thank you! :)

And yes I'm aware I cannot detect in National Parks...but I'm sure there will be plenty of other places I can find :)

Absolutely! I packed my MD on a trip to Lake Tahoe this past summer and found gold on Emerald Bay beach.
LT1.jpg
LT2.jpg
LT3.jpg

BillMc

Mar 6, 2014
near the confluence of the Hudson and Mohawk river
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sparkgirl....

It is absolutely imperative that you remove the batteries from the detector before you check in at the airport. Here is why. When the bags ( whether carry-on or checked ) are passed thru airport security, those batteries will look ( to TSA or others ) that they are connected to a printed circuit board ( which they are ) but it will also look like 'something else' to the security screeners ! I had this happen to me two years ago flying out of a small airport in Maryland. The police and TSA were very nice about it. Good thing it wasn't a major airport like JFK etc..... as the results might have been different.

Bill
upstateNY

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the tip Bill! I will do that for sure :)

L

l2hunt

Well first have a great trip to Colorado. Born and raised in Mass. came out here to Colorado with my wife and never went back to Mass. Anyway, not sure exactly where you're going out this way but I would take the machine. Don't know about putting your machine in the checked baggage, what if your bag finds itself at the bottom of several others, yikes! Break it down and do carry-on, much more safer! Have a great time on you adventure HH

OP
OP
sparkgirl

sparkgirl

Jul 16, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the tips! I will be sure to let you guys know when I'll be out there....i would love to meet up with some TN members while out there! :)

Also...I get a bit of a say in our travel plans...any places you guys would recommend? I always wanted to detect in the desert....I love hot and dry heat lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread