Should you dig everything at an old house site-1800s???? No discrimination??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Should you dig everything at an old house site-1800's???? No discrimination??

Hi everyone I was wondering what should I do with this problem? I live in Hawaii and found some old house sites that are in the 1800's thru early 1900's and no one has metal detected them before. I worked them and found some cool coins like a seated half dime, v nickels, indian head pennies and some rare Hawaiian coins. I was using a whites xlt with quite a bit of discrimination to cancel out the nail from the broken down house, the wood had already deteriorated. I went back a few times and found only nails but I was wondering if I should work that site with no discrimination and just dig all the nails and iron because they maybe masking out the coins?? Is that true, does the nails mask out the coins if the coins are under the nails?? I want to work the site like this but I know I will be digging every few seconds due to the amount of iron in the ground. I also found an old ranch site that was used by cowboys called the Paniolos the Hawaiian cowboy, found some rare belt buckles but no coins. It seems that these guys drank up the money they made. Do you guys think this site is worth looking again? I also found some smoking pipes. Do you guys think that even though I haven't found any coins so far that there is some in the ground? It seems like those guys were a little poor!! Any information from all of you will help me with my quest!! Oh, I own a whites classic id machine and it works alright any thing I should know about this machine? Is it good for what I will be doing with it, looking at old homesteads?? Thanks to all you guys for sharing your great knowledge!! Aloha, ;D

Upvote 0

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Should you dig everything at an old house site-1800's???? No discrimination??

If I were you, I'd dig everything. You never know what kind of signal a cool relic will give off. Clearing out the nails will be a lot of work, but it'll be worth it in the end. If not satisfying in amount of finds, satisfying in the fact you cleared the area of metal whether it be keeper or trash. Now go find some good stuff and we want pictures. ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Should you dig everything at an old house site-1800's???? No discrimination??

Willie d is right! There could be any manner of relic down there and any discrimination could make you miss a nice target and that could also be a gold coin. Even tuning out iron could null out the find of a life time.

Sandman

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Don't get frustrated with the nails, there are some cool relics and coins too. Ten nails 1 goodie. My house was built in 1870 and I've been digging a lot of nails, but other stuuff too, no silver yet, only started in the yard this fall. (lawn too nice, I hope it comes back in the spring). Let's see if you can keep up with the NAIL QUEEN, and become the NAIL KING! Have fun and learn those signals whle diggin' nails.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

Is this abandoned property or owners
still living there?? If its a nice clean
yard I'd hesitate to dig everything
unless the owner doesn't care- -like
My Brothers or My Yard.
Its good to get the trash cleared
but too many holes in certain
situations might be bad-- just
a thought!!
good luck & HH

R

Rich

make sure to check around old trees and hillsides if any are on the property!

OP
OP
M

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands

Thanks you guys for replying to my post!! Yes the property is in the country side so making holes is no problem! I can dig,dig and dig and no body will care because there are horses and cows on the property so making holes is no problem!! I just wonder how long I will last digging up nails all day long!! I guess I have to get some knee pads so I don't kill my back!! I guess I will dig up every beep from now on but I have a feeling that I will need a good massage after that day. When I have some time I will share my finds and pictures of my progress!! Aloha and have a awesome Thanksgiving!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Dig it all if you have the time and digging isn't a problem.

If you only have X amount of time and the landowner wants damage kept down to a minimum, set the discrimination to rule out small nails.

Here's how I'd do it.

I'd start with low discrimination to just rule out the most common trash but still accept pull-tabs.

I'd start with a larger coil to cover the ground fast and get maximum depth.

I'd then cover the ground again with a small coil (about 6 inch).

Finally, if time allowed, I'd dig everything with a larger coil and almost zero discrimination.

If I hit a really hot spot I may even make a sand sifter and shovel the dirt through it.

It goes without saying you need a very deep detector to clean out a site.

Badger

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I would crank up the discrim and hunt for a while, then adjust it lower it accordingly.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage

Dig it all.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

I agree. Dig it all. Search in all metal. I always hunt in all metal. You would be suprised at what discrimination can hold from you.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

My house was built in 1930. I cherry-picked it at first, high discrimination. I found good stuff. As finds got fewer, I started lowering my disc. The stuff that turned up was better, deeper, and amazing.

Dig it all in all-metal mode.

DM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread