Sidewalk tearout update.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to the where they were replacing all the sidewalks in the main business district . Numerous 1800's coins were found by myself and two others. Phase I was completed earlier. (All new cement poured on one side of the street). The sidewalks were removed on the other side of the street just before the Labor Day weekend which gave us the entire weekend to detect. I only recovered 3 coins and a stem piece from a clay pipe.
While we were detecting, a guy in a pickup pulls up and asks how we're doing. I showed him the coins I recovered. He said he had heard about the coins we found earlier and asked about them too. Then he pointed out where certain business's used to be and suggested we look there. He was really excited about the finds and asked if we would give a "show and tell" to some of the business owners and city counsel members. Then he hands me his business card. Turns out he was the Mayor! He was as excited about our finds as we were.
Shortly after he left, another guy pulls up and tells us about a place a few miles from town where there used to be several church congregations that held picnics many years ago but that will have to be another story.
Anyway, here are my finds for the day.

Attachments

• 090806 001.jpg
    090806 001.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 939
  • 090806 002.jpg
    090806 002.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 929
  • 090806 003.jpg
    090806 003.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 925
Upvote 0
Great finds BK, here in South Africa most of our streets dont have concrete pavements, just grass ;D

God bless
Peter

Excellent job bk! The finds you're making at that site are awesome.It's great that the city officials are working with you by taking an interest in the recoveries you guys are making.That will be one great show and tell.Getting future site leads from the locals must of really made your day also.Great pic of the site and finds.Best of luck while you continue your hunts there. HH!

Absolutely love those sidewalk dig-ups. Congrats on your great finds... :)

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I went back to this site for the last time today. Almost all the sidewalks were poured except for the corners. I hunted slowly and found a couple more keepers. I expect by next weekend all the sidewalks will be in. Check out my latest post. I'll show you what I found including a picture of myself taking a break.

unbelievable you guys find all this nice stuff under sidewalk tear outs and all i find is the bear cans the workers throw out >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'(

good finds

How cool is that?

Really great as well about your encounter with the Mayor!
That is just more positive publicity for Metal Detecting!
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back