What's new

Sifting in the colonial pipeline

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,209
Golden Thread
1
Location
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I put in a whole day of digging and sifting the Colonial trash pit that I hit last Wednesday; it was back breaking work but well worth it.

This time around pipe pieces appeared frequently in the sifter. 66 pipe stem fragments, various bowl parts and the closest I have come to a complete pipe. The bowl is half there as is about two inches of the stem.

I also found some nice pottery shards, the best of which were two pieces of combed slip ware that mate; hopefully I can find more of that piece in the future. Also the sifter turned up an interesting piece of heavy clear glass that appears to be part of the neck of a jar (?)
Metallic finds included two iron buckles-one found in the sifter and the other metal detecting.

Once again sifting proved to be a blast-hard work, but the finds were steady and varied. I'll be back!
 

Attachments

  • 1452452325023.webp
    1452452325023.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 1452452340820.webp
    1452452340820.webp
    66.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 1452452354160.webp
    1452452354160.webp
    27 KB · Views: 140
Upvote 14
More pictures
 

Attachments

  • 1452452678329.webp
    1452452678329.webp
    68 KB · Views: 150
  • 1452452691010.webp
    1452452691010.webp
    95.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 1452452703700.webp
    1452452703700.webp
    76.6 KB · Views: 123
Cool pipe and a really nice pile of old finds.
 
You should look closely to see if any of the stems match up with your bowl. Sometimes you can find 2 or 3 pieces that fit together. Did you ever measured the bore diameters and do the calculation to determine the average date of occupancy for the site?
 
Fantastic work with the shifter, crazy how many pipe stems turn up. Surely a few more surprises left in that pit. Any idea how deep the thing goes?

No more than two feet; It turns to hard clay at that point.
 
That looks like a ton of fun! I'm sure the rest of the pipe bowl is down there somewhere.

Is this thing I circled one of those clay wig hair curlers?

IMG_20160110_180632.webp

Really glad you're enjoying it so much. Hope some coins turn up soon.
 
You should look closely to see if any of the stems match up with your bowl. Sometimes you can find 2 or 3 pieces that fit together. Did you ever measured the bore diameters and do the calculation to determine the average date of occupancy for the site?

Not yet but I intend to. I did measure the most complete pipe and the diameter is 5.5/64. Good idea about checking for a match-I will definitely do that.
 
That looks like a ton of fun! I'm sure the rest of the pipe bowl is down there somewhere.

Is this thing I circled one of those clay wig hair curlers?

View attachment 1258754

Really glad you're enjoying it so much. Hope some coins turn up soon.

I'm afraid not; it's just two pices of pipe bowl that are touching.
 
That looks real fun!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom