signals trouble on my etrac

abcdefgh

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone,

First i would like to apologize for my english... french people...

I had a big signal problem on a mineralized soil few days ago, my etrac, usually quite as a tomb, started to "bip" on everything on the soil, even in the air, I was in the incapacity to stop it. I tried to use the sound noise automatically and manually, but there was no effect on the detector so I stoped my activity, it was such frustrating for me, but anyway... I came back home and i tried it in my field (not very mineralized) and the detector did it again so I decided to push the power button for a while to retrieve the factory parameters and then it was alright.

My question is , does this thing happened to somebody here, and if it is, what did you do to keep the detector under control?

mine did the same thing, however, I had a bad coil. Minelab fixed it for me and haven't had a problem since. I would also check for sand or debris under your coil cover and maybe a loose connection somewhere in line with the coil. good luck

Thx for the answer,

I cleaned the coil today, and I've checked for some connection's problems but i didn't noticed something wrong... I'll try tomorrow in the same mineralized place, if it's happening again, I think I would have to change my coil for a new one... by the way did you know if I can use my old Musketeer XS pro coil on my Etrac?

++

abcdefgh said:
Thx for the answer,

I cleaned the coil today, and I've checked for some connection's problems but i didn't noticed something wrong... I'll try tomorrow in the same mineralized place, if it's happening again, I think I would have to change my coil for a new one... by the way did you know if I can use my old Musketeer XS pro coil on my Etrac?

++

On your XS Pro I don't believe so. As for the interference you're experiencing, I believe it's your coil also as I had the same problem.

I know you can swap ones from an explorer, I don't know about the safari. you would have to check with minelab or maybe woodland detectors

Hello and thanks for the answer,

I tried to go to the same place than yesterday, but it's the hunting season here in France and it was like war everywhere, so I decided to go in a piece of wood (I've cleaned the coil, made an automatic noise cancel at my arrival on site), I turned on the factory coin program and here I go. First results was that the detector didn't get out of control, but something was different in its responses... I mean I feel the detector more sensitive than in the first time I used it, making a lot of noise on bad items or items wich are on the limit of discrimination; sometimes it bipped like the targets was too far from the coil (an heavy sound like "bump"), it was very difficult to interpret the signals except when the FE/CO of the targets were in the blank sections of the screen. I don't know what to think, I begin to think that it's just me that interpret badly the signal but I didn't realized that few months ago... Maybe I hit the coil too strong on on a rock someday or something else or maybe it's me, I think I'm gonna try a new coil hoping it's not a more serious problem (the electronic box for example)...

Thanks again for your reactivity and if anyone had this kind of trouble, tell me what do you think about this situation;

Regards

I would switch coils and try it again, if it changes you have a bad coil if not you may have a problem inside. either way I would send it in to minelab and let them work on it

If you have another coil that fits the e-trac then try that first. I ended up buying another 8" coil that fits the e-trac and tried it and it worked fine so I sent my stock one in and they sent a new one. They where having problems with the stock coils and I believe it was the wiring in the cord not the coil if I remember correctly but your problem sure sounds the same as what I was experiencing. Good Luck.

Thx everyone for your interest,

I tried today a new coil, the original one of an Etrac, in same mineralized place, and I just eard some erratics sounds but nothing like with my first coil, i can't say what the matter was with the first one, but it's a relief that the control box isn't implicated in this trouble.

Thanks a lot to everyone, I hope I could help someone later on this cool forum!

I founded today with my "new Etrac" a roman coin, awsome :) keep hunting and I could send some french videos here if somebody have an interest of metal detecting in France.

Regards

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back