silver coin dates????

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
After reading a post by dreamweaver43 and his finding first silver (1954 dime), I was wondering up to what year coins were made in silver. I have a 1954 nickel and was wondering if that could be my first silver found? Semi-new to this hobby and get excited whenever I pull out a coin older than me outta the ground. My oldest to date is a 1929 wheat penny that was at the side of the road that I live on. probably no more than 2 feet from the asphalt. I plan on swinging the length of my street down one side and then back up the other just to see what I find. Lots of trees line the one side of the street and they were probably there early last century if not earlier. The street was also listed on an 1905 map of the area.

Thanks,

Funkman

Upvote 0
OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
sorry...read a few more posts and found the answer to my question. Oh well...have to keep searching for silver.

Funkman

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
good idea about your street if it is an older one. lots of coins get dropped by folks getting keys out of thier pockets!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
1964 was the last year that they minted Silver Quarters and Dimes and Halves. However, there are a few years that they minted halves that were 40% Silver. I believe it was in the late 60's. Any of these coins found that are dated 1964 or earlier are silver. 90% silver too.

The Nickels did have some silver in them, I think around 35%, in the years 1943-1946 ( I think). Not exactly sure of the dates, but it was during WWII. I know WWII was over in 46, but I think they still made them taht year as well.

Good Luck.

Just found my 10th Silver of the year today.

Deerhunter24

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hi Gang,

According to my 2006 Redbook the war nickel years were 1942-1945 with 35% silver content. The mintmark was made larger and placed above the dome on the reverse. There were some 1942 nickels without the silver content though, as the silver nickels were not produced until October 1942.

The dimes and quarters and halves were produced with 90% silver until 1964.
Kennedy halves were produced with 40% silver from 1965-1970.

Hope this may help anyone,
Mike in SC

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Silver coins are out there and plenty of them! good luck in finding them! search those old parks and old areas along creeks and streams to start and you will have no problem finding them............. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread