Silver Coin Spoons?

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Hi all, ***I just updated the post with pictures of the engravings on the handles. They both say 'EMC' which may be a local in town. I need to do some research.***

I just remembered these from a hunt a month ago, sorry for waiting so long. These were found at the Tavern site which now belongs to very generous folks who have invited us over anytime to hunt the property. I donated my last Draped Bust penny, musket ball and flat button found on his property for his display. Anyway, these two spoons were found in the field, one signal after the other and about 5 feet apart.

I have searched high and low and cannot find any reference to H. W. Smith as seen on one of the spoons. The other is stamped 'sterling' and some other lettering which looks like 'salmer buchedders & co' so my 15 year old son with the good eyes tells me. Also there is a mark on it too. My partner found one this past weekend at the same site where I found these. His turns out to be from Portsmouth NH maker 1750's.

Here are a few pics. If you have any ideas I would be happy listen 8) Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSC05731.JPG
    DSC05731.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 790
  • DSC05732.JPG
    DSC05732.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 798
  • DSC05751a.jpg
    DSC05751a.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 773
  • DSC05752a.jpg
    DSC05752a.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 774
  • DSC05753a.jpg
    DSC05753a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 793
  • DSC05684.JPG
    DSC05684.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC05685.JPG
    DSC05685.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 416
Upvote 0

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed way cool !! those are great spoons !! They are worth their weight in silver !!!!!! You have a great spot there !! It may not produce as fast as now but there are still items of value there!! MaineRelic.

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
MaineRelic said:
Ed way cool !! those are great spoons !! They are worth their weight in silver !!!!!! You have a great spot there !! It may not produce as fast as now but there are still items of value there!! MaineRelic.

I guess you are right. My hunting partner tells me that all the time about sites that we go to. Some of the best finds were from the 2nd or 3rd time out at a suspected good site. These are the only two silver spoons I have found 8)

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
The one spoon is Palmer and Bachelders, from Boston, Mass. This mark dates from 1846-1865. Great finds.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ed,

I love finding old coin silver spoons. The name HW Smith may actually be the retailer that sold the spoon. The hallmark will tell you the name of the silversmith.

I tried to do some research for you and here is what i have found: There was a jeweler known as HW Smith in Boston around the turn of the last century. I found a reference in a publication known as The jewelers' circular and horological review dated May 4th, 1898. Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/ml6f3n. I also found another reference in the Boston Almanac for the year 1865, which shows HW Smith as a watch tool manufacturer located at 25 Washington St. (see next paragraph!). Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/mrr266

Your other spoon is actually from PALMER, BACHELDER & Co. Listed in the 1855 Boston city directory as Palmer & Bachelder, at 91 Washington Street and in the 1865 edition as Palmer, Bachelder & Co. at 164 Washington Street. It seems like the firm was operating under this name from 1864-1884.

104371_7_palmer&bachelder.jpg

Check out this site to look at the Hallmark. http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_P.html

Nice finds!!!!!
Good Luck!

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
All I know is those are some nice spoons! They can be straightened and restored by a competent silversmith, so you can use them to stir your coffee in the morning and remember a great hunt at a great site.

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
DougF said:
The one spoon is Palmer and Bachelders, from Boston, Mass. This mark dates from 1846-1865. Great finds.

Doug, thank you for the ID! I'm psyched 8)

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
at1cad said:
All I know is those are some nice spoons! They can be straightened and restored by a competent silversmith, so you can use them to stir your coffee in the morning and remember a great hunt at a great site.

at1cad I am real interested in talking to a silversmith in my area. That would be a really cool thing to do. Thank you for the idea 8)

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Neil in West Jersey said:
Ed,

I love finding old coin silver spoons. The name HW Smith may actually be the retailer that sold the spoon. The hallmark will tell you the name of the silversmith.

I tried to do some research for you and here is what i have found: There was a jeweler known as HW Smith in Boston around the turn of the last century. I found a reference in a publication known as The jewelers' circular and horological review dated May 4th, 1898. Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/ml6f3n. I also found another reference in the Boston Almanac for the year 1865, which shows HW Smith as a watch tool manufacturer located at 25 Washington St. (see next paragraph!). Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/mrr266

Your other spoon is actually from PALMER, BACHELDER & Co. Listed in the 1855 Boston city directory as Palmer & Bachelder, at 91 Washington Street and in the 1865 edition as Palmer, Bachelder & Co. at 164 Washington Street. It seems like the firm was operating under this name from 1864-1884.

104371_7_palmer&bachelder.jpg

Check out this site to look at the Hallmark. http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_P.html

Nice finds!!!!!
Good Luck!

Neil once again you have given some great information to us. This is awesome. I am going to look at all the information you have posted here. Thank you so much.

Thank you to all who have replied to my post and happy hunting out there 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread