What's new

Silver coin?

rsilva02667

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2014
Messages
353
Reaction score
910
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, my friend found this at an old cellar hole today. He thinks it’s a silver coin. The back is smooth.Thanks for any feed back. IMG_1597.webp
 
I can't ID the coin, but the Swiss used a cross on some coins.
 
Upvote 0
I agree ...does look Swiss. Not saying this is your coin, but it is similar style.
switzerland_2_rappen_1948.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Any words on it? If the back isn't just worn flat, but, never had any features, it's not a coin.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting. If you look really closely, there is a fleur de lis in at least one of the quarters of the cross:

Fleur de Lis.webp

I think this is French and with a design somewhere in the territory of the 30 denier coin shown below (Louis XIV, 1711).

French.webp

But that’s an example only and I didn’t look more deeply for others. Probably a thankless task without more details visible and accurate measurement of diameter and weight.

Be aware however that contemporary fakes exist, as well as tokens for trade purposes, jetons for counting purposes, and weights for checking authenticity of coins… all of which may carry similar imagery, whether actually French or borrowing the iconology. If what you have is truly uniface (as opposed to one side is heavily worn), those are the likely possibilities... not a coin.
 
Upvote 0
going out on a limb here...French mousquetaire (15 deniers) early 1700s coinage
 

Attachments

  • 20210207_182122.webp
    20210207_182122.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0
Great minds think alike!

yep...I hit the send button and saw your post
our early Acadian sites here in Atlantic Canada give up a few from time to time, also used in fur trade era around Great Lakes when New France was thing
to the OP....its a pretty good find in any condition
and a little bath in warm peroxide might bring up a few more details on your (billion) coin
 
Upvote 0
Wow thank you guys I really appreciate all of the info!
 
Upvote 0
nice piece of colonial history.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom