Silver coin?

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys, my friend found this at an old cellar hole today. He thinks it’s a silver coin. The back is smooth.Thanks for any feed back. IMG_1597.jpg

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree ...does look Swiss. Not saying this is your coin, but it is similar style.
switzerland_2_rappen_1948.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any words on it? If the back isn't just worn flat, but, never had any features, it's not a coin.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. If you look really closely, there is a fleur de lis in at least one of the quarters of the cross:

Fleur de Lis.jpg

I think this is French and with a design somewhere in the territory of the 30 denier coin shown below (Louis XIV, 1711).

French.jpg

But that’s an example only and I didn’t look more deeply for others. Probably a thankless task without more details visible and accurate measurement of diameter and weight.

Be aware however that contemporary fakes exist, as well as tokens for trade purposes, jetons for counting purposes, and weights for checking authenticity of coins… all of which may carry similar imagery, whether actually French or borrowing the iconology. If what you have is truly uniface (as opposed to one side is heavily worn), those are the likely possibilities... not a coin.

Upvote 0

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Great minds think alike!

yep...I hit the send button and saw your post
our early Acadian sites here in Atlantic Canada give up a few from time to time, also used in fur trade era around Great Lakes when New France was thing
to the OP....its a pretty good find in any condition
and a little bath in warm peroxide might bring up a few more details on your (billion) coin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rsilva02667

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thank you guys I really appreciate all of the info!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread