Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I did the math, and calculated that there are around 28,000,000 silver dimes left in circulation. I did it based the average amount of silver dimes I find in a box (around 1), after getting that data, I found the percentage of dimes which are silver. Approx .0004% of the dimes in circulation are silver. I did some more math, using the percentage of silver dimes left in circulation, and all of the clad dimes in circulation and figured out that around 28,000,000 silver dimes are left in circulation.

Note: This is not counting Mercury dimes.

Data: 72,000,000,000 clad dimes are in circulation (80,000,000,000 were minted, but many were probably lost, destroyed, kept, or under ground).

Data: 1/2500 dimes are silver (Based on my coin roll hunting averages)

Result: 28,000,000 dimes left in circulation.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you might like this story...last winter my huntin buddy and I left our snowy mountain and headed to the desert for two days of hunting with our atvs and toy hauler rv.We worked the tar out of several mining sites and homestead sites and found some cool relics and a little jewelry....a couple indian heads,a war nickle,a v nickle but not 1 silver coin.

when we topped the summit on the way home we stopped to get some beer and when I got to the truck I noticed I just got a merc in my change....too funny.

I now religeously check my change every time.

cheers

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not silver but,checked my change yesterday and found a 1937 wheat! WQhere did that come from? Haven't seen one in a couple years! Go figure!

Wade

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great math!
Last eve a coworker called at 11:37pm to inform me that he just got a "Rosie" in change.
Peace

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea when ever I get some extra cash I always buy some dime rolls. I been lucky I find around 20 silver every yr from the rolls.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never have done that I should try it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No silver in that . . . but still a good find.

I haven't pulled a Merc out of circulation for many years. I have about 200 I saved from when I had a paper route in the 70's. Still a few Roosevelt silver era out there in pockets and purses.

onepenny

Jun 24, 2014
Palo Alto Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My daughter used to check the change machines in grocery stores when she was between 4 and7 or so. Anyway, she found mercury dimes a few times. My guess is the people getting the cash did not know what they were and the coin machines were not set to take solid silver. In a few years the same might happen with pre 1982 pennies. Funny thing is, she would show them to me and ask if it was foreign money.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My late wealthy Uncle who lived in MO. has hundreds of dollars maybe thousands of money he put "back". This included rolls of silver coins and wheat penny's. He had A LOT of silver certificate's and uncirculated $2.00 bills. These were keep in a drawer in his bedroom. When he passed his wife got the money out and just started to spend it. She turned in all the rolled coins to the bank for cash. Her brother caught her paying a dinner meal with some "good lookin' cash" and asked her about it. She told him it was just money Wallace had in his drawer. They went back to her home and she got the money out for Jim to look at and emptied her purse. There was still $400+ dollars of the collected money. All coins were gone and she said she'd been "running" on this money for the past 6 months.

What a shame.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread