Silver dollars?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where would your guess be ?
I`v been kinda lookin around for 45 yrs. for stuff, and only found 2 ....so i `m not a good one to ask
dontknow.gif

Gary

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary , If you found 2 in 45 years you are doing two times better than most detectorists ! I count myself lucky to have found one .

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sproatz they are a very hard find, I never detected one yet. I have detected things I thought I would never find like a half dime and 1774 half reale, I almost think I might detect a gold coin before I ever find a silver dollar, lol.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found a few Suzie B's, but never a silver dollar.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They circulated more in the west than in the east, so out west somewhere for starters.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read in coin magazines they were never really used as a every day currency, they were primarily used by banks as bullion, I'm still looking to find one myself, Goodluck!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've read in coin magazines they were never really used as a every day currency, they were primarily used by banks as bullion, I'm still looking to find one myself, Goodluck!

That's pure BS from that mag. They were carried by everyday citizens. Why don't we find them often? First, back when they still minted dollar coins, $1 was a lot of money so it wasn't "pocket change" to the carrier. Second, the size made them less convenient to carry than paper dollars. Third, drop one of those things on the ground, how well does it hide? I would imagine just from sheer size that most of the ones ever dropped were picked right back up by the very next person to walk across it.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I found one in a pair of pants that were buried back in 75....haven't found one since.

GOD Bless

Chris

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pure BS from that mag. They were carried by everyday citizens. Why don't we find them often? First, back when they still minted dollar coins, $1 was a lot of money so it wasn't "pocket change" to the carrier. Second, the size made them less convenient to carry than paper dollars. Third, drop one of those things on the ground, how well does it hide? I would imagine just from sheer size that most of the ones ever dropped were picked right back up by the very next person to walk across it.
I don't believe they were in circulation as much as regular coinage, you believe what you want but the numbers of them being found are the indicator for me as to how much they were in circulation.jmho. Goodluck!

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Been detecting 44 yrs and only found about 4. They're scarce rwdmo

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the funniest thing I've read lately Rodbuster...the numbers being found ? I don't know how things are in Cali, but here you ask your buddy what he found..oh a lead sinker!
Thing is most detectorists IMHO practice Keppys signature :D
Most guys are not going to tell everybody hey I found a cache of dollars today.

Mike

MonDak

Jan 5, 2006
I don't believe they were in circulation as much as regular coinage, you believe what you want but the numbers of them being found are the indicator for me as to how much they were in circulation.jmho. Goodluck![/QUOTE
They were used heavily as pocket change in certain states. examples would be Montana and Nevada. I found
one with a metal detector in Montana and got one out of a slot machine in Nevada, and I know approximately
where one was lost in Nebraska. I'll find it next time I go thru there.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were carried, as a kid I remember them in use, they were in cash registers where they were taken as payment and change given.... I remember uncles having them in their pockets, I was also paid a few as a kid in late 50s for jobs....

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found 2 morgans.both were found by fluke luck.I'm not sure there is ever gonna be a pattern.The second,only 2 weeks ago was a 1921 morgan found in an 1860s mining area...go figure

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread