Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to a permission I got from the guy who installed my new water system. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 in his yard. I didn’t get a lot done because the ground is very rocky most places and I was digging all the mid and high tones to be sure I didn’t miss anything good as I gridded the yard. I started in the front and then went along the edge of the road and worked my way around the back for a little walk around before I left. The front had a lot of trash, but the back was remarkably quiet. Not even a lot of ferrous signals.

All together I found 78 coins with a face value of $4.33 (including a recent 22 coin spill right on top of the dirt under the grass), a pentagonal bolt (used on water shut off caps locally), 2 Corbin locks, the bottom of a lipstick tube (ANGELUS ROUGE INCARNAT) from the late 30’s, part of a satchel latch, 2 wheaties, a walking half, an older style kiddie ring with a broken glass stone, a dozen aluminum beer cans, and of course tabs and miscellaneous junk.

BAE3D7D1-59E9-446E-B515-1569D0C32D48.jpeg 5911BC8A-47A1-4526-8CDA-ED423E8E4F79.jpeg

The walking half was right by the edge of the road. It was in some roots mixed in with some gravel. I was sure it was probably an aluminum can and almost gave up on it. I was shocked and thrilled when I saw it was big silver. When I popped of the dirt I was very happy. The walking half is such a beautiful coin. It is a 1945 from the Philadelphia mint. It was mixed in with a bunch of gravel and I thought it would be beat up for sure, but it only has a few minor scratches and looks nice. It made my day.

3BA9D87F-4D72-495C-A2AE-C0856AB97448.jpeg C84950F8-D042-4729-8FF5-85E504971EF2.jpeg

I made a couple of trips to the scout camp. On the first trip I spent 6.5 hours trying to finish a campsite. I found 107 coins with a face value of $7.78, 77 camp tent pegs, a stainless fork, spoon and half a knife (the stainless spoon is very poor stainless and was deep under some roots so it has been there a long time), lots of sinkers, a folded dime, a padlock key, a hat pin back, 2 rope tensioners, some tabs, a lot of melted aluminum, 2 dead knives and one of the pipes used to make old metal army cots into bunk beds.

3AAA2560-5F88-4692-9B77-B1B8812B9D73.jpeg 2699F28A-8FDF-4A72-AE98-6F0C98F8E367.jpeg

I do find springs from the old army cots and occasionally part of one of the metal straps that support the link grid used as the main part of the cot sleeping surface. I recognize these parts because I have owned a couple of them and we used them at several camps I have attended in my time as a scout and scouter.

CCE09562-06BF-45C8-9799-058F921F29FD.jpeg

On my second trip I went to a different site hoping for a better day. I had started this site a while back and it went pretty well so I had high hopes. I did well enough that I decided to try out the staff area for the last 45 minutes. They have removed the old tent platforms and are building new ones. The new ones are mostly done and they are placed differently than the original ones so some parts of the site have 40 years of lost coins that fell through the cracks in the floor boards and were not accessible until now. It was a good choice, I found 50 of my coins in that 45 minutes so I plan on returning to that area soon.

In 6 hours I found 203 coins with a face value of $18.65, 82 camp tent pegs, a rope tensioner, a neckerchief slide, a hiking belt loop, a swim tag, sinkers, a belt knife clip, a pocket knife, an Eagle Scout bolo tie, very few tabs and some melted aluminum from the campfires.

EE4F81B1-4635-4A02-938F-962A0F1EBEED.jpeg

The swim tag is one of my favorite types of finds from camp and came from the staff site. I have only found 5 or 6 since 2013 when I started detecting here. They are season swim pass tags from different boroughs around Pittsburgh that you would pin to your swimsuit for your admission to the pool. This is my oldest, 1982. The camp didn’t open until 1980 so this is about as early as it gets unless you are on a section occupied by the old farm that was here first.

CFD668FC-44EF-425A-8C4E-867500E303FB.jpeg

I had to take part of a day to work on the honeydo list, but I got 2.5 hours in the afternoon to visit one of the tot lots in town. I found a few coins on the lot, but I noticed they had cleared some wild rose bushes and heavy brush in the corner where I found hundreds of coins left from the kiddie pool sawdust hunt so I headed over there and dug a nice pile of pennies and dimes with 1 quarter and some nickels for good measure. As I was swingin on my way back to the truck I got an good iffy signal in the grass by the parking lot and decided to dig it. Out came a Mercury dime. You just have to keep swingin and dig those iffy signals. They are usually junk, but oh it is nice when they aren’t.

35DABAD4-40E9-4C83-9421-AC5AE292AFB6.jpeg

All together I found 82 coins with a face value of $5.21. A little trash, but not much on this hunt. The Mercury dime is a 1924. The poor thing has had a rough life and is kind of beat up, but she was a welcome sight to me. The thing beside the dime looks like some kind of clothing embellishment. From the fastening on the back and it’s condition I believe it is modern junk, but it was the only other noteworthy find for the hunt.

6C332489-C805-4A48-8A03-16F1C6F1F8EB.jpeg 4363DD50-29D0-4001-AB9C-19A5D2A46072.jpeg

I had such good luck at the scout camp I decided to end my detecting year with one last trip and I went back to the staff site. I worked my way carefully around the site trying to be sure I didn’t miss anything good. I was even able to get the detector under the sides of some of the platforms because they are up on blocks on the side of a hill so the downhill side is 18” above the ground on some of them. In some places the coins were so close together with a few nails and other trash it was difficult to isolate a target. I had to work very slowly and in 6 hours I got about 75% finished the tiny area.

All together I managed to find 274 coins with a face value of $19.78 (168 pennies), 25 camp tent pegs (platform tents do not use pegs so not many here), a stainless fork, 3 good scout knives, 1 dead knife, 2 rope tensioners, a live 22 round, a cheapie kiddy ring, a hat pin from another camp, 2 keys, 3 tokens, a large crescent wrench, on old folding shovel and assorted nails and screws.

3283786E-FEB9-4EB7-BAC9-E5ECF8518FC6.jpeg FFAD93DE-6FD6-484C-B9E5-D5B8CA3FF6B9.jpeg

55C493DB-D612-45E2-8FCA-DF6F7524B1A6.jpeg

These 2 tokens are ones I have never seen before. The big one actually has a spinner in the center. The Camp Seth Mack hat pin is from a camp that opened in 1934. The old Penns Woods Council formed in 1970 and was renamed in a merger in 2011.

75D3BA23-C5FF-49CF-A992-92371E449F9C.jpeg B97EA832-661E-40A1-BDC3-59526C699580.jpeg

So ends my 19th year of detecting. 2 silvers to end my almost month long drought and a big pile of clad to make this my best year ever for total face value of coins found. The scout camp also has continued to produce interesting items. I will post my year statistics soon, but I exceeded my past best total by over $200. What a year. You can see why we love this hobby. Fresh air, exercise, interesting stuff popping out of the ground and we get paid (in coins) to do it. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 27

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet silver! Great condition she's in. Congrats :occasion14:
Wow that's a lot of digging at the camp, I wish my scout property provided 1/100th of what you have recovered. It seems that the Scouts thing was bury all your trash-I must of dug 30 little trash holes.

The tent pegs are a selling item, great repurpose pegs for gardeners.

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful silver!!!! Congrats!!!!!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a lot of digging! Congrats on all the finds. Love the half especially, as that is probably my favorite US coin.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!! Love those Walkers!!!! Beautiful Coin!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet silver! Great condition she's in. Congrats :occasion14:
Wow that's a lot of digging at the camp, I wish my scout property provided 1/100th of what you have recovered. It seems that the Scouts thing was bury all your trash-I must of dug 30 little trash holes.

The tent pegs are a selling item, great repurpose pegs for gardeners.

Thanks pepperj. I do find a few places where trash has been buried, but in the 80s when this camp opened the practice of burying trash had been abandoned by the scouts.

The pegs are not going to be for sale. I leave them for the camp. They reuse them for the camp setup. My finding them saves them the money they would spend on new pegs and keeps my permission to detect. Stay safe and keep swingin.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic! You are one of the most productive members on this forum. Do you give detecting lessons? I could use some help from a guy like you! Wishing you bigger and better next year. Gary

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the nice reply Gary. I don’t give lessons exactly, but I have helped a few people get started detecting. Part of my success has been productive places to hunt. They are starting to dry up so next year may not be as good. Stay safe and keep swingin.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, what a great post tnt, lots of background details and pics. :occasion14:
It would've been nice to see some pics of the site, but I understand from a privacy standpoint, sometimes it's best not to post these.
The finds aren't particularly old but, they tell a story of what went on there over 40 years ago.

Congrats on the '45 Walker Half, I like the old swim tag as well. :icon_thumright:
Dave

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent post and sweet Walker, among everything else- Congrats!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's quite a variety of finds. I like that Walking Lib Half.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a great post tnt, lots of background details and pics. :occasion14:
It would've been nice to see some pics of the site, but I understand from a privacy standpoint, sometimes it's best not to post these.
The finds aren't particularly old but, they tell a story of what went on there over 40 years ago.

Congrats on the '45 Walker Half, I like the old swim tag as well. :icon_thumright:
Dave

Thanks for the nice reply Dave. I do try not to give too much detail about the sites for obvious reasons. The black knife on the right from the last day is actually face down because the name of the camp is on the front. A lot of scout stuff including the swim tags are being made into a display for camp. Preserving the history of the camp of future scouts. Stay safe and keep swingin.

P.S. I love your John Wayne quotes. If we all lived by those ideals what a wonderful world we would have. Unfortunately you can’t fix stupid and it seems to be epidemic these days.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
S
Thanks for the nice reply Dave. I do try not to give too much detail about the sites for obvious reasons. The black knife on the right from the last day is actually face down because the name of the camp is on the front. A lot of scout stuff including the swim tags are being made into a display for camp. Preserving the history of the camp of future scouts. Stay safe and keep swingin.

P.S. I love your John Wayne quotes. If we all lived by those ideals what a wonderful world we would have. Unfortunately you can’t fix stupid and it seems to be epidemic these days.
Thank you for your reply tnt.
Obviously, John Wayne was one of my idols while growing up, I've tried to live my life and treat others by similar standards. :thumbsup:

The reason your hunt/post caught my eye, is because a buddy and I have permission to detect a Boy Scout a mile north of where I live. This site has been continuously occupied since the early 1800s and is still being used to this day, unfortunately the Covid pandemic put a hold on this last year. The city I live in has started taking steps to buy the property from Scouts Canada, then resell the site to a university located across the street.
Be positive, test negative and stay safe.
Dave

History of Camp Samac - Oshawa, Ontario

Long before the 1940s, the area which became East Whitby Township was populated by the Mississauga First Nation. During the mid-1700s, traders would travel south on foot from Lake Scugog to the headwaters of the Oshawa Creek near present-day Raglan and load their pelts into canoes for the journey to Lake Ontario, where they exchanged their goods with a French fur trader, likely Jean Jacques Rousseau, who used a log cabin on the lakeshore as a local base on his trips along the Lake Ontario shoreline. In 1790 Benjamin Wilson, a United Empire Loyalist and the first white settler of Oshawa, arrived in East Whitby from Pennsylvania. By the late 1700s almost all the land in the Township (between Thickson Rd. and Town Line Rd., and between Lake Ontario and the 10th Concession) had been acquired from the Crown. In 1798 William Chewett, who had received the Crown Patent for the 200 acres in Lot 10, Concession 4 settled there and built a small frame farmhouse for his family.

The origins of Camp Samac can be traced to a February 19, 1937 meeting of the Oshawa Boy Scouts Association when it was decided that “hiking grounds” should be established close to Oshawa, and that such grounds should be “well-wooded, with a good running stream”. The Scouting movement was established in Oshawa in 1910, and at its height membership in the Oshawa District amounted to 78,000 youth and adults. The Association felt that Brookside Park and its environs, located east of Simcoe St. and south of Conlin Rd., would be an ideal location. However, several years of exploring potential sites elapsed before any progress was made on acquiring the right property. On December 9, 1943, Colonel Robert S. McLaughlin, Chairman of General Motors Canada, agreed to donate 60.7 ha of land located 4 km north of Oshawa. The Association gained possession on January 1, 1944. At that time, the future camp only contained a house, a barn and several outbuildings. The purchase price amounted to $10,269.79, which presumably was made up of legal costs associated with the purchase.

Attachments

• Old Man Grumpy Glover - Page 011.jpg
    Old Man Grumpy Glover - Page 011.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 35
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your reply tnt.
Obviously, John Wayne was one of my idols while growing up, I've tried to live my life and treat others by similar standards. :thumbsup:

The reason your hunt/post caught my eye, is because a buddy and I have permission to detect a Boy Scout a mile north of where I live. This site has been continuously occupied since the early 1800s and is still being used to this day, unfortunately the Covid pandemic put a hold on this last year. The city I live in has started taking steps to buy the property from Scouts Canada, then resell the site to a university located across the street.
Be positive, test negative and stay safe.
Dave

History of Camp Samac - Oshawa, Ontario

Long before the 1940s, the area which became East Whitby Township was populated by the Mississauga First Nation. During the mid-1700s, traders would travel south on foot from Lake Scugog to the headwaters of the Oshawa Creek near present-day Raglan and load their pelts into canoes for the journey to Lake Ontario, where they exchanged their goods with a French fur trader, likely Jean Jacques Rousseau, who used a log cabin on the lakeshore as a local base on his trips along the Lake Ontario shoreline. In 1790 Benjamin Wilson, a United Empire Loyalist and the first white settler of Oshawa, arrived in East Whitby from Pennsylvania. By the late 1700s almost all the land in the Township (between Thickson Rd. and Town Line Rd., and between Lake Ontario and the 10th Concession) had been acquired from the Crown. In 1798 William Chewett, who had received the Crown Patent for the 200 acres in Lot 10, Concession 4 settled there and built a small frame farmhouse for his family.

The origins of Camp Samac can be traced to a February 19, 1937 meeting of the Oshawa Boy Scouts Association when it was decided that “hiking grounds” should be established close to Oshawa, and that such grounds should be “well-wooded, with a good running stream”. The Scouting movement was established in Oshawa in 1910, and at its height membership in the Oshawa District amounted to 78,000 youth and adults. The Association felt that Brookside Park and its environs, located east of Simcoe St. and south of Conlin Rd., would be an ideal location. However, several years of exploring potential sites elapsed before any progress was made on acquiring the right property. On December 9, 1943, Colonel Robert S. McLaughlin, Chairman of General Motors Canada, agreed to donate 60.7 ha of land located 4 km north of Oshawa. The Association gained possession on January 1, 1944. At that time, the future camp only contained a house, a barn and several outbuildings. The purchase price amounted to $10,269.79, which presumably was made up of legal costs associated with the purchase.

It sounds like you have a lot of potential there. Hopefully you can get in there and find the mother lode before the sale. Government can move like a snail sometimes. Hopefully this will be one of those times and they will debate the issue for months. Good luck, stay safe and keep swingin. Steve

Last edited:

claypile

Mar 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look exceptional. Congratulations on the find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread