What's new

Silver expert needed. I think I know but would like to confirm.

jnkhntr

Full Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2009
Messages
239
Reaction score
80
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
I hope the hallmark picture is clear enough for ID. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • GORHAM-001a.webp
    GORHAM-001a.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 291
Check out this link Jnkhntr: http://www.modernsilver.com/basichallmarks.htm
Next to the last one at the bottom.
Here is the text: "Because of the association of British sterling with quality, some American manufacturers emulated the British, making sterling objects and jewelry long before the United States government nationalized the sterling standard in 1906. Not only were British styles and metal quality imitated; some American maker’s marks bear a striking resemblance to British hallmarks. The most well-known of these is the mark of Gorham Manufacturing Co., featuring a walking lion, an anchor and an Old English style capital G, looking very much like a Birmingham hallmark for 1830. Most American maker’s marks can be found in Dorothy Rainwater’s American Jewelry Manufacturers."
Hope this helps!! :thumbsup:
Regards, SkyPilot
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I came to this, as well, through a different source. Gorham Co. Providence R.I. The tag on this said UK Birmingham silver plate. My first surprise when I cleaned it up was the "Sterling" mark. The right facing lion got me looking away from it being British. It weighs 700grams.
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
jnkhntr said:
Thanks guys, I came to this, as well, through a different source. Gorham Co. Providence R.I. The tag on this said UK Birmingham silver plate. My first surprise when I cleaned it up was the "Sterling" mark. The right facing lion got me looking away from it being British. It weighs 700grams.

Cool!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great work, everyone!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom