silver in electrical contactors?

Lucky Jack

Jul 31, 2007
I took apart a 60 amp electrical contactor that went bad on my spa and it looks like several of the internal components are silver. I know silver has great electrical properties but is there enough silver to mess with in these? I took out all the parts that look like silver and they sure sound like silver when they clink together but maybe it's just silver plated.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
The answer to your question is a definite "maybe" !

Solid silver contacts were / are used in many electrical switching devices (relays, contactors, starters, disconnects, switches, etc.)

Also brass, silver plated, gold plated, and bifurcated gold. It all depends on the nature of the load the device was specified to switch.

A number of years ago, when the price of silver took an upward leap, I remember theft of silver contact "buttons" from some of the manufacturers being a problem.

Diggem'

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was doing maintenance on a commercial scale, I noticed that the contacts for elevators on the panel board up in the "penthouse" were silver. Sometimes they would become detached from the main part of the breaker and I would replace the breaker and have a couple more silver discs about as thick as a silver dollar but only about as big around as a pencil. I think I still have a couple around here someplace...

Scott

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't remember the companies name off the top of my head, but they bought used breakers to rebuild. With the current prices on mains might be worth while to sell them to a rebuilder or at the flea market.

Google up the price for a CA3150 3 pole, you'll see what I mean.

swampgal

May 3, 2008
G, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III
Maybe CBS Sales (Circuit Breaker Sales) - But they build and rebuild a lot bigger breakers etc. than that, unless the CA3150 3 pole are done in Denton, or else wheres. Been a while since I worked there. Silver platted copper, and some parts (Connections) was copper platted and then silver platted. The larger units with the big connectors was generally solid copper bars, that was silver platted.

silversaddle1

Dec 11, 2008
The contacts are most likley silver. I've scrapped 100's of switches, breakers, disconnects and 95% of all those contacts were silver. Why silver? Because silver will not arc when making contact under load, thus prolonging the life of the breaker/switch.

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
One of my lead suppliers here in town used to have a local salvage yard, and has since retired. Last time I was out there, he was working on silver contacts for what he called Industrial Silver. He had a 5 gallon bucket there in front of him almost full, and said that he usually made a trip a year out to Denver to sell them.
Probably profitable if you can run a torch and have time!
Merc

rokstenha

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2010
I am well into the process of researching a market to buy the silver contacts that I have. Some calls and emails I've received state that unless there is over fifty pounds it is not worth their time. There are a couple of online sites that say they take small quantities. I do not want to give the url's however. I still have some questions like: 1.) Is there a cost to assay the metal? 2.) Do I ship at my expense? 3.) Do you return ship, at who's expense? 4.) Do you pay in currency? I am finding out that the separation process is difficult and expensive. Therefore I do not expect much $'s as I first thought. However, some research gives me the impression that even small quantities could be forth while. I will post more when I get answers to my questions. In the mean time do a web search for "scrap silver electrical contacts etc." Let me know if anyone comes up with anything. I'll post my results, also. Suggest that you cut as much non-silver away as possible: I used a hacksaw. I am thinking about trying to separate the silver "button" using a conventional oxyacetylene torch; temp. may vary from 5850 degrees F to 6300 degrees F according to many factors, such as gas purity and mixture. Melt points: silver = 1761 F, copper = 1981, brass is slightly higher than copper.

mercuryman

Apr 30, 2003
Lexington, NE
My lead supplier mentioned above uses a torch to separate them. I have tried a small propane torch, but it does not get hot enough to just melt the solder off. I have had to pull the contact off with pliers while its hot, and even then its hit and miss. I need a much hotter flame.
Merc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions