Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Driving home after work I noticed the low tide screaming for a quick hunt so I pulled over, covered myself in bug spray, and broke out the Safari. It was a fairly uneventful site until I heard the minelab start screaming on silver. The coin was covered in a black crust that slipped easily off the surface of the coin. An 1897 V Nickle survived a hundred years in the salt water and while its roached, I can still make out Liberty's bust and the date! Thanks for looking

V4.jpeg V1.jpg V2.jpg V.jpg

Upvote 4
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My safari hits 14 for nickels. Never hit a 10 or below, I don't dig lower than 14, as of yet with my Safari. Great find!!!!!!!!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cjon is spot on, I just ran over to air test it and your exactly right 10-13 is definitely nickel. Strange as it certainly has the look and feel of silver. I'm guess the salt water/trash may have been falsing the safari signal, but hey still a neat old coin.

Hey I hope you didn't take offense to that, just wanted to give you the heads up, not to downplay a 118 year old nickel though, that's still a great find

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find VMI! You guys at the coast have been finding some nice stuff. Congrats.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My safari hits 14 for nickels. Never hit a 10 or below, I don't dig lower than 14, as of yet with my Safari. Great find!!!!!!!!

I actually dig alot of pewter buttons in the 10 to 18 range so I chase some of the lower signals.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread