What's new

Silver Proof Mint sets from US Mint

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
2,074
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering, do any of you CRH'ers buy these annually? Seems like they are pretty expensive ($53 plus shipping) for what you get. I know there is always a chance to get an impacted proof in a roll...
 
Upvote 0
AGCoinHunter said:
Just wondering, do any of you CRH'ers buy these annually? Seems like they are pretty expensive ($53 plus shipping) for what you get. I know there is always a chance to get an impacted proof in a roll...

I've bought some at Estate auctions (around $20) before really knew what was doing- have since got impression they are not so hot and will pass on them- let alone buying them direct for $53, whooooo what a price! And I do not have Kids let alone grand kids to pass 'em on too.
 
I've been buying them lately. Sometimes they go up nicely. The 1999 set is around $400 for the top grade. I like the look of some of them. Some people will go wild and pick up $50k of a Mint release like the Un-circulated mint set but only keep the ones they figure will grade out at MS-70 or MS-69 by PCGS. They send the rest back to the mint within the 7 day return period and can make some nice cash as some of the "top-pops" go for pretty decent cash. There is some money to be made on the US Mint releases but you have to be careful. I just buy them because I like them. This year's set is getting a bit expensive with all the silver quarters. The real copper cents are pretty cool and I wonder if one of us CRH will stumble on one in circulation.

Maine_Jim
 
Most of the time you will loose if you buy from the mint to sell soon.

Unless you want to keep the stuff for 100 years.

There are some exceptions. The Silver Eagle Set Anniversary with the reverse proof
was one example of an awesome buy. $100 for the 3 coins and you can re sell the
reverse proof from $200 to $400 depending the PF State or MS

DW
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom