What's new

Silver Quarter Find Rate

kestrelia

Hero Member
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
587
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Lately, I have been thinking about ramping up my quarter searching as I need alot of them for my albums. My current find rate is about 1 per 10,000, doing about 4K/5K a week. I've searched 86,000 and found 10 (plus 1 Canadian one). It got me thinking what find rate for silver quarters are others experiencing? Anyone on the board searching tons of quarters?

Brian
 
Upvote 0
Ha. Yup, it's definitely crazy.
B
 
I do not even bother with them as the finds are not worth the attempt. If you are trying to make a set, it will probably be the challenge of the century. Of what you will find, 90%+ will be in the 60's, so it will be extremely hard to find something in the 30's & 40's. Good luck in this endeavor tho.
 
Looks like your actual silver quarter rate (11 silvers in 86000 searched) is more like 1 in 7818. You're doing better than you thought! :)
 
Quarters have never continually produced for me. I don't have exact figures (not even a guess!) but at one point a few years ago I must have gone thru $1000's from the casino where I work and never found one.

The five I've found this year are probably a fluke since the last several hundred searched have produced nothing. The oldest Washington I've found was a semi-key 1938-S in VF condition but that's the only time the 1930s were represented. Last year I got extremely lucky and found a dateless Standing Liberty and a 1908-D Barber quarter, but that's unlikely to ever happen again.

Give 'em a try for awhile. You never know when you'll tap into a "Granny Cache."
 
I started out looking through quite a bit of quarters but now I don't even try. You'll find them faster MDing than through CRHing.
 
willypurdue said:
I started out looking through quite a bit of quarters but now I don't even try. You'll find them faster MDing than through CRHing.

True!!
 
I got a 1962 this year from actual circulation (a customer gave it to me as part of a payment) and I set a goal to find one more through CRH'ing, which I finally did. It took me many boxes worth of rolls just to get that 2nd one this year, and it is a 1964. Therefore I just don't do it, as I have an entire Washington quarter collection and like everyone else said it just takes too much time and you hardly ever find a thing.

Last year however I stumbled across a full roll of 90% silver quarters, most were dateless Standing Libertys, however I did get about 4 or 5 dated S.L.'s as well as about 6 or so Washingtons. That was because I got 10 full rolls of pre-1964 nickels and went back to the same teller and asked where she got the nickels and if she had anything else from the same source, and she said she had this 'weird old roll of quarters.' Haha...definitely weird and old.
 
kestrelia said:
Lately, I have been thinking about ramping up my quarter searching as I need alot of them for my albums. My current find rate is about 1 per 10,000, doing about 4K/5K a week. I've searched 86,000 and found 10 (plus 1 Canadian one). It got me thinking what find rate for silver quarters are others experiencing? Anyone on the board searching tons of quarters?

Brian

Its the one denomination I do the least of just because you find the least.

I have found 11 silver washingtons out just 73,000 quarters this year. These have been from a mix of rolls, bags, and casinos.

Breakdown of results:
Overall: 1 per $1659 (11/$18250)
Casinos: 1 per $1233 (3/$3700)
Rolls: 1 per $1800 (5/$9000)
Bags/Loose: 1 per $1844 (3/$5533)

The dates have been 1941, 1947, 1953-D, 1958-D, 1961-D, 1963, 1963-D(2), 1964, 1964-D(2).

Last year, the oldest I found was a 1935.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom