What's new

Silver Relic

Bonaro

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
991
Reaction score
2,215
Golden Thread
0
Location
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was dredging for gold on Blewett pass in Washington State, near the site of an old stamp mill and related buldings. Deep in the gravel I found a layer of square nails. It was in this layer that I found the relic I am trying to identify. It seems to be either hand engraved or finely cast silver mounted to a copper plate which had eyelets in the edges.

The reason for the layer of square nails I believe is because when the Highway was built in the 1920"s, the state burned the remains of the mill and pushed the debris into the creek. The relic must have been in with the stuff at the mill site.

Any Ideas?
 
Looks like a cover to an old belt buckle. Pretty piece!
 
Upvote 0
It's to fragile for a belt buckle. I am thinking hairpiece...?
 
Upvote 0
I think it is a mantilla hair comb with broken 'toofies.' Nice find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Womans Victorian era broach maybe?
 
Upvote 0
When I found it there were 3 eyelets, on top and bottom and 2 broke off leaving only the one shown. No sign of any "toofies?" but it likely was attached to a piece of leather or wood which may have had the teeth or some kind of attachment for a broach. The back side of the relic has bent over prongs which hold the silver to the brass plate. As it is, these would have snagged hair and clothing easily which is why I think it had wood or leather behind it.

It was suggested it may have been decoration used on a Hudson Bay trading chest but I dont know anything about that. The comb or broach ideas seem best but it will remain a mystery
 
Upvote 0
Looks to be about right size for a 'filigree' cigarette case. Although not sure how the eyelets fit in :icon_scratch:

TnMountains said:
Womans Victorian era broach maybe?

TnMountains may be on right track with broach/jewelry.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom