Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I just returned from a couple of days in the Low Country of SC, with Tnetter Bergie. We were detecting an old roadway and I found what I thought was a Spanish silver, however closer examination revealed a horse and rider. I believe it is a silver flat button with no shank. You can see a square spot on the back where I believe a shank was located.

Here is where it gets good, some people believe that this might be a loyalist SC Dragoon button from the Revolutionary War. It’s diameter is .79” and it weighs 1.1 grams.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...carolina-dragoon-loyalist-button-i-think.html

Above is the link to where the last guy found one.

4675378F-00D2-42BE-8876-D446BDA99B72.jpeg 01E4B617-DE5A-40A1-BD85-102A72FF030A.jpeg

Any ID information is most appreciated.

I’m just glad that I found an old piece of silver. I will get the rest of the finds cleaned and posted tomorrow.

Thanks for looking and good luck on your hunts.

Last edited:
Upvote 43

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not, that probably more resembled a tack than a button, and because it had a long square stem is why you see the square spot where it broke off. The only reason I know this is I once owned one... was solid silver with the long stem. If you read my post on the other thread you'll see i mentioned it there. As for what the buttons are... no one knows. Was first guessed SC Dragoons... no doubt because a couple were dug in SC. Then the theory for some reason changed to Loyalist... and I can tell you being someone who hunts loyalists sites, and a lot of friends that do also, I've never seen or heard of one of these dug. I do know they turn up often in the UK so that's where I think they originate, because it's not like they left America in great numbers to go there. It really is a good mystery what they are, and I'll finish this message like I did the one on the other thread... I don't think we'll ever know.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
CT, you are the man. I'm impressed by your consistency in getting out. Like the others said, a killer find no matter what!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion it is NOT 18th C for a couple of reasons;
They only silver plated their Military buttons.
The modelling of the horse is a more modern image.
The riding hat is modern not 18th C.

Still its rare to get any solid silver button/tack, & if your going to get one, thats a cool image.8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
P
In my opinion it is NOT 18th C for a couple of reasons;
They only silver plated their Military buttons.
The modelling of the horse is a more modern image.
The riding hat is modern not 18th C.

Still its rare to get any solid silver button/tack, & if your going to get one, thats a cool image.8-)

I appreciate both you and Iron Patch chiming in on this find.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no button expert (we all know that) but I put in my banner vote, I mean after all, it's silver. Nobody is going to make a modern reproduction Dagoon button/tack in silver, right? Congrats buddy, as much as you dig (and travel to dig) you deserve to be up top!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
super awesome find Tom! I hope it is Rev war era but regardless it's a killer find. My banner vote is in. Congrats

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no button expert (we all know that) but I put in my banner vote, I mean after all, it's silver. Nobody is going to make a modern reproduction Dagoon button/tack in silver, right? Congrats buddy, as much as you dig (and travel to dig) you deserve to be up top!

Thanks Brad. I imagined a wealthy loyalist planter had it fashioned by a jeweler, either in Savannah or Charleston. I have seen a silver palmetto button from the CW... made by a jeweler in Charleston. Mine was found within a mile of where the Dragoons were fighting! Along the colonial road.

But alas, there is zero documentation on this image, as it relates to loyalist or Dragoons. Cru says it is NOT a loyalist button. Just an old piece of silver with a horse on it.

It’s all good, I’m used to the bazinga by this point in my MDing career.

I appreciate your banner vote, and unbridled enthusiasm.

I used unbridled because it was stated that this came from horse tack, a bridle is horse tack. I’ll sneak that stuff in on you, if you don’t watch me.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Brad. I imagined a wealthy loyalist planter had it fashioned by a jeweler, either in Savannah or Charleston. I have seen a silver palmetto button from the CW... made by a jeweler in Charleston. Mine was found within a mile of where the Dragoons were fighting! Along the colonial road.

But alas, there is zero documentation on this image, as it relates to loyalist or Dragoons , IP and Cru say it is NOT a loyalist button. Just an old piece of silver with a horse on it.

It’s all good, I’m used to the bazinga by this point in my MDing career.

I appreciate your banner vote, and unbridled enthusiasm.

I used unbridled because it was stated that this came from horse tack, a bridle is horse tack. I’ll sneak that stuff in on you, if you don’t watch me.

I didn't say it was or wasn't anything. :) I said I have never seen one found in the context of a Loyalist site. I can say I've probably owned the closest thing to what you have found and that one was dug in the UK. I say closest because mine looked a bit smaller and had the prong or whatever you want to call it intact. I think those are as cool as hell, it's just too bad no one seems to have a clue about them. What's also interesting is why they vary so much... if they were military you'd think most would be the same. Always way more questions than answers for these. Would be at least a decade ago since I bought the first one I owned, and know no more now than I did then... in fact if anything I know less. lol

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't say it was or wasn't anything. :) I said I have never seen one found in the context of a Loyalist site. I can say I've probably owned the closest thing to what you have found and that one was dug in the UK. I say closest because mine looked a bit smaller and had the prong or whatever you want to call it intact. I think those are as cool as hell, it's just too bad no one seems to have a clue about them. What's also interesting is why they vary so much... if they were military you'd think most would be the same. Always way more questions than answers for these. Would be at least a decade ago since I bought the first one I owned, and know no more now than I did then... in fact if anything I know less. lol

I corrected my mistatement. My intention wasn’t to put words in your mouth. I appreciate your input.

OP
OP
Carolina Tom

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom that's a superb little piece of silver! Very cool no matter what it turns out to be. I love finds that are a mystery, it's so fun researching and learning new things.

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All can I say Tom is WOW... whether it be a button or a tack, it sure is a wonderful find. Congrats to you Mister.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button, congrats Tom !

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is freakin sweet. well done!!!!!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Tom. I always love it when interesting finds like yours get some face time here on T- Net. Big Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread