What's new

Silver Ring

Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this ring on the beach in south Mississippi. Breaking the barnacles off and a little light polishing has made it pretty cool. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas at all about what or "who" this may be. It's a horned? masked? character of some sort. One side has grapes (Bacchus maybe?) and the other side has a flower of some sort. It's about a size 10 (fits me) and as big as a typical man's class ring.
All ideas and suggestions for a direction to research welcome!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1531.webp
    IMG_1531.webp
    45.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1532.webp
    IMG_1532.webp
    43.2 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1533.webp
    IMG_1533.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 258
It looks like a spin-off of a Greek theater character .. similar to Comedy & Tragedy.
 
Upvote 0
I thought it was the devil with ram horns.
 
Upvote 0
I think it is the Greek god Bacchus who was the god of wine. Notice the grapes on one side of the ring. I posted a link, look at the 7th row down last pix.
Nice find
Bunker
Safari/Pistol Probe
"Lost Recovered....History Discovered"


http://www.superstock.com/stock-photography/Bacchus
 
Upvote 0
Bunker said:
I think it is the Greek god Bacchus who was the god of wine. Notice the grapes on one side of the ring. I posted a link, look at the 7th row down last pix.
Nice find
Bunker
Safari/Pistol Probe
"Lost Recovered....History Discovered"
Ah, Bacchus the Greek god of wine and intoxication. No wonder the owner lost it lol.
Great ID.

Heres the ring:
Up for auction is a vintage man's sterling silver Bacchus ring. The charm is marked STERLING VICTOR. The size is an approximate 10 or 10 1/2. The weight is 21 grams. Well made and very unusual. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mans-vintage-sterling-bacchus-ring-by-victor



ADDED: I just now realized the poster msgulfcoast told us it may be Bacchus and has grapes. :-[ Oh well I/we should read the posts more carefully lol.
 

Attachments

  • ring bacchus.webp
    ring bacchus.webp
    4.1 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom