Silver Sabre uMax

bayou bandit

Feb 9, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax,Whites 3900/D Pro series, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and cen- tec pinpointer (doing it on the cheap)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look what $35.00 will get ya off a Craigslist ad. A wrecker service around here sells unclaimed items in impounded cars after 3mos and I was lucky enough to find this. Anyone got any setting tips that might help? I went to a School yard yesterday and found around $3.00 in clad but spent alot of time adjusting to knock out some trash. Ipod 023.JPG

I have one that I thought I got a deal on for $130. Sweet find. It is a real good detector. Read the thread I started about "sending them in for a retune". Should be a few posts down on here. I have pic of an air test I did on there and a little info.
I was just in the beach here in NC and had the disc at min. It was just ticking over rusty nails. I don't think minimum disc is all metal like a compadre. All metal is only when hitting the pin point button.
Pull tabs seem to fall off at disc 6 on mine. I don't really use it on the beach that much but was surprised at how well it did.
Here is a video I made with a live dig of a screw cap. Anyways it was a good sounding target that most people would dig.

Good luck with it. I'll give you $50 for it.
Let me know if you like it or what you find because in just still learning mine.

I like that one so well that I have several. On starting a hunt I run the coil over a nickel and thumb the disc knob until It crackles out, then thumb it back until the response is good. That takes care of most small trash and still accepts gold jewelry. Mark the setting if you prefer, but I set it every time. Sensitivity 8 - 10 sometimes in the red zone if it's stable. Set the threshold over clean ground (no targets) by holding the all metal pinpoint and set a softly audible hum. According to the manual, when set to a slight threshold hum you should get the best results in the disc setting even though you won't hear it in disc.
luvsdux

Thanks for the reply's, I'll give those tips a try next hunt. I think I'm gonna like the Tesoro, between the light weight and depth I was getting on first time out I think I found a winner.

The Silver Sabre Umax can be ground balanced fairly easily, there is a blue plastic trim pot behind the faceplate. Remove the 4 screws that hold the faceplate on and adjust the trim pot (use a jewelers screwdriver) as you are bouncing/moving the coil up and down. I had to do it once when I first got mine, for my soil is pretty constant in the areas that I hunt. The pot is pretty is pretty delicate, so be careful.

I was using one of these machines a couple of years ago. I found the manual online and just downloaded it, but I have no idea where from now - maybe the Tesoro site. I used an advanced search, using the phrase 'Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax' and added the word 'manual' to be included.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back