What's new

Silverplate score

robertk

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 16, 2023
Messages
7,160
Reaction score
34,693
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, ok, I know it's silver plated. But still. I'm pretty happy with this find. It's not all the same pattern, or even the same manufacturer. But there seem to be only two different patterns. One is an Oneida pattern, the other is a National Silver company pattern, or so says the embossing on the stems ("Tudor Plate, Oneida Community", and "National Silver Company AA Plus", respectively). All in all, there are 118 pieces of silver plate, making for a heavy box of shiny things. And the best part is I got the whole "set", box and all, for $24.95. Even for plated, I think that's pretty decent.


IMG_6211.webp

IMG_6213.webp

IMG_6214.webp

IMG_6215.webp

IMG_6216.webp
 
Good haul at that price. Sadly, I’ve seen the bottom progressively drop out of this market. Nobody really uses complete sets of fancy flatware any more and collectors are more interested in smaller sets or individual items (teaspoons, pastry forks, salad servers, cake slices, ladles and such) or silver from prestigious makers.

I see three patterns there, not two. The Tudor Plate from Oneida is a mixture of: ‘Sweet Briar’ (the ones with the rounded end to the handles) designed by Grosvenor N. Allen and William H. Gerth, introduced in 1948; and ‘Queen Bess’ (with the squared-off end) designed by Grosvenor N. Allen, introduced in 1924.

The National Silver pieces are ‘Narcissus’ pattern, introduced in 1935.
 
Nobody really uses complete sets of fancy flatware any more
That's a shame. I remember some years ago we pulled out the nice "China" place settings for a get together and someone commented "Why use these when you can just use paper plates". Sigh. The same reason people used to dress up to go out, or go to church, I guess.
 
Good haul at that price. Sadly, I’ve seen the bottom progressively drop out of this market. Nobody really uses complete sets of fancy flatware any more and collectors are more interested in smaller sets or individual items (teaspoons, pastry forks, salad servers, cake slices, ladles and such) or silver from prestigious makers.

I see three patterns there, not two. The Tudor Plate from Oneida is a mixture of: ‘Sweet Briar’ (the ones with the rounded end to the handles) designed by Grosvenor N. Allen and William H. Gerth, introduced in 1948; and ‘Queen Bess’ (with the squared-off end) designed by Grosvenor N. Allen, introduced in 1924.

The National Silver pieces are ‘Narcissus’ pattern, introduced in 1935.
We decided to just use ours everyday, hand wash them though.
Screenshot_20260602_214554_Google.webp
 
We decided to just use ours everyday, hand wash them though.
I figured that would be necessary. They didn't have dishwashers when these were made, so the heat and pressure might not be kind to the plating.
 
I figured that would be necessary. They didn't have dishwashers when these were made, so the heat and pressure might not be kind to the plating.

Yep... and the aggressive chemicals, as well as tablets and pods having citrus scents. Hand wash immediately after use (especially if the meal had very salty or acidic foods) in warm water with a non-lemon-scented mild washing up liquid, rinse in plain water, and dry straight away with a lint-free cloth. Watch out for hollow handles on knives that can trap water if the seams are no longer sealed.
 
I figured that would be necessary. They didn't have dishwashers when these were made, so the heat and pressure might not be kind to the plating.
robertk I guess with all that nice Silverware you have now you'll be inviting us all to dinner? :) will it be a black tie event or will bluejeans be O.K ??? :)
 
robertk I guess with all that nice Silverware you have now you'll be inviting us all to dinner? :) will it be a black tie event or will bluejeans be O.K ??? :)
Ha! It would have to be blue jeans. If a bunch of people were at my house wearing suits, everyone would assume it was a funeral!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom