Simplex Learning Curve

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I had two permissions and a cemetery today. The first permission turned out to be so trashy that I couldn't make one swing without multiple targets. Found two HotWheels chassis, within feet of each other, but sheet metal, nails, aluminum, and junk finally won. I tried but only made one pass, then on to the next site. It was trashy too, but not nearly as bad. Only netted a penny from the pair of them. Then the (tiny) old cemetery was just down the street, so...
That's where I found three mason jar lids (milk glass or porcelain lined), one Ball (pieces), one no name, and one Presto with a 'Boyd's Genuine Porcelain...' insert. I was curious if anyone knew anything about them?
Best I could find was an article that said Mason sold his patent and Boyd's started making lids in 1871? Anyway, they were the most interesting things for the day- both for what they were, and wondering WHY they were there- Someone eating while they sat in cemetery was my best guess...

Attachments

• Milk Glass Lined Canning Lids 03-30-20 Keyhole Cemetery2.jpg
    Milk Glass Lined Canning Lids 03-30-20 Keyhole Cemetery2.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Milk Glass Lined Canning Lids Presto w Boyd's 1871+ Porcelain 03-30-20 Keyhole Cemetery3.jpg
    Milk Glass Lined Canning Lids Presto w Boyd's 1871+ Porcelain 03-30-20 Keyhole Cemetery3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You detected a cemetery? Not good. Don't get caught doing that. You'll give the rest of us a bad name. Gary

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You detected a cemetery? Not good. Don't get caught doing that. You'll give the rest of us a bad name. Gary

Um, not to sound totally ignorant, but is that wrong?

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cemeteries are kind of a do not go there when it comes to detecting. Survivors of those buried often leave trinkets, sometimes coins, and even heard of a ring being buried. They are meant to be there for eternity.

The only allowed use i know of was when i was requested to locate the rebar row markers to lay out a new gravesite/plot.

Often mojo comes into play, or karma. Depends on which school you come from.

Also noticed you were in the KC area. In other words, my back yard.

Hope you like the Simplex. I can use it better in iron infested sites than others I have tried.

Good Luck!

RJGMC

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information- I was unaware of the implications. Thankfully it wasn't in a 'main' cemetery, just a tiny 6-person one, with all the dates in the 1800s at the end of a dead-end street. I have lived a block from it for over 30 years, and have never seen any flowers or other adornments there, so I was looking at it as a 'historical site', but still no excuse. Hopefully I didn't offend anyone, here or on this site. I apologize for my ignorance!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your name correction!

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you RJGMC (Bob) for the tips on the Simplex today! It REALLY helped me do better in the 'trashy' permission I tried later!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread