Site name is Mangled!

lrgoodger

May 2, 2023
Cassopolis, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000-D, Garrett GTA-1000, Minelab Sovereign, XP Deus I, Equinox 800, XP Deus II
We were back at the cornfield site at 6 AM this morning to beat the forecast 88 degree heat today. I got an 1880 IHP near where the others from yesterday were within the first 30 minutes. There was nothing the rest of the morning until the heat got up and we were ready to leave. As I was walking back to the truck, I crossed the area where the two cent piece had been. I got an iffy 75 signal on the Deus. Too high for a fatty or a nickel and too low for an IHP, I thought, but I better dig it anyway. Out came a caked, oval piece with a color and rim that looked like a coin, but it was too big for an IHP. When we got to the truck, my brother scraped a little of the dirt off and said, I think it IS an IHP. Someone shot it, it looks like. I didn't think so because a shot coin will have extruded edges on the hole on the exit side, and this one was pretty flat. Or else someone tried to make a washer out of it, he said, because it is split on one side. No, you can't make a split washer from a copper coin because it has no springback, I said.

I got it home and cleaned it off. it actually is an IHP and you can see the date of 1900. I does look like it was shot, but the extruded hole was hammered back down. If it WAS shot, the guy was a deadeye! The hole is almost dead center. I know one thing. The big hole sure affected the coin ID. Now we have a name for that cornfield site. It is MANGLED!

Mangled.JPG

Upvote 18

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Mr Custer you sure are setting the world on fire up there :) Thanks for posting

Last edited:

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We were back at the cornfield site at 6 AM this morning to beat the forecast 88 degree heat today. I got an 1880 IHP near where the others from yesterday were within the first 30 minutes. There was nothing the rest of the morning until the heat got up and we were ready to leave. As I was walking back to the truck, I crossed the area where the two cent piece had been. I got an iffy 75 signal on the Deus. Too high for a fatty or a nickel and too low for an IHP, I thought, but I better dig it anyway. Out came a caked, oval piece with a color and rim that looked like a coin, but it was too big for an IHP. When we got to the truck, my brother scraped a little of the dirt off and said, I think it IS an IHP. Someone shot it, it looks like. I didn't think so because a shot coin will have extruded edges on the hole on the exit side, and this one was pretty flat. Or else someone tried to make a washer out of it, he said, because it is split on one side. No, you can't make a split washer from a copper coin because it has no springback, I said.

I got it home and cleaned it off. it actually is an IHP and you can see the date of 1900. I does look like it was shot, but the extruded hole was hammered back down. If it WAS shot, the guy was a deadeye! The hole is almost dead center. I know one thing. The big hole sure affected the coin ID. Now we have a name for that cornfield site. It is MANGLED!

View attachment 2150078
really cool to find IHPs, to find one shot through is quite special. thanks for posting

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, well, I figured if they are going to call me Custer, it was time I produced some shot Indians!
LMAO! Good one. 😂
That shot coin is so cool. Neat find.
I need to try that. It’s worth a bullet.
Thanks for posting ,
MM

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, that Indian that has been shot sure has some character to it now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread