3lysium87

Greenie
May 27, 2012
Freeport MI
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year before I got in to detecting my self. My sister and I were at the beach in Holland she was recently engaged and dropped her ring in the sand in the spot we were lounging at. I happened to notice a guy using his detector so I asked if he could help he was kind at first and found the ring. The next thing I know he was demanding cash for his services and would not return the ring until he got paid. At the time we had no cash and the food court at the beach does not have an ATM so we couldnt get any. I had attempted to give him my leathermen and my zippo for an exchange but he refused. He then suggested he would follow us to a gas station so we could get him some cash at the time I had no other option so we let him. In the end it all worked out. For others that may do such things I carry where ever it is legal to do so and if you are carrying a blade that is more than 4 inches in the open and trying to rob me it is in my right to feel in fear of my life and I may detain you at gun point until police arrive. Now with that said I have a good head on my shoulders and did not resort to that kind of thing but imagine if it were someone that was hot headed and could stretch the law in their mind like that, what might have happened? I feel that most people even on here would find his actions deplorable but I thought I might share my experience so that others were aware of this kind of scam.

John Silvered

Apr 18, 2012
Arrrrgh.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year before I got in to detecting my self. My sister and I were at the beach in Holland she was recently engaged and dropped her ring in the sand in the spot we were lounging at. I happened to notice a guy using his detector so I asked if he could help he was kind at first and found the ring. The next thing I know he was demanding cash for his services and would not return the ring until he got paid. At the time we had no cash and the food court at the beach does not have an ATM so we couldnt get any. I had attempted to give him my leathermen and my zippo for an exchange but he refused. He then suggested he would follow us to a gas station so we could get him some cash at the time I had no other option so we let him. In the end it all worked out. For others that may do such things I carry where ever it is legal to do so and if you are carrying a blade that is more than 4 inches in the open and trying to rob me it is in my right to feel in fear of my life and I may detain you at gun point until police arrive. Now with that said I have a good head on my shoulders and did not resort to that kind of thing but imagine if it were someone that was hot headed and could stretch the law in their mind like that, what might have happened? I feel that most people even on here would find his actions deplorable but I thought I might share my experience so that others were aware of this kind of scam.

While he wasn't a nice guy...he also did not "scam" you.

You asked him to do work. He did it. He asked for $$$. You did not like that. He insisted. You paid.

Did you go to the police? No? Why?

Because he didn't break any laws. IF you assaulted him...you however would've gone to jail.

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
...I asked if he could help he was kind at first and found the ring. The next thing I know he was demanding cash for his services...

Did the guy inform you (prior to detecting) that he wanted to be paid for his services? If he did, you really have no problem with the guy. However, if he started making payment demands after-the-fact that is kinda cheesy. YMMV

OP
OP
3lysium87

3lysium87

Greenie
May 27, 2012
Freeport MI
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He had not asked for any compensation before he found the ring he just seemed happy to help. When asking the employees at the food court it sounded like he had been doing this for a while. I would have understood if he would have wanted to make an agreement before hand which he did not but when attempting to compensate him and unable to do so he still refused and seemed unreasonable. If it were the few people I personally know that do detect they would have just been happy to help. I did not go to the police because I saw a happy ending for both party's if he had decided not to follow us I would have followed him and called the police. Again I just wanted to share my experience. I felt at the time he had been taking advantage of the situation and that if it had been just her what else could or might have happened. I have shared this experience with friends that are part of the police department and they told me that he had been in the wrong because it is still our property if we would have left and then he found it that would change the story and he would be entitled to the find. I would not assault any man with out real just-cause but that example was a what if I were a person or it was someone else like him with shaky morals that it had happened too what else might have happened.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While he wasn't a nice guy...he also did not "scam" you.

You asked him to do work. He did it. He asked for $$$. You did not like that. He insisted. You paid.

Did you go to the police? No? Why?

Because he didn't break any laws. IF you assaulted him...you however would've gone to jail.
He did break a law...you cant keep a found item, you have to turn it in to the police. I cant believe how many people dont know the law. Even if it wasnt the law, that guy is a scumbag for doing that to you. You should have knocked his ass out and took your ring and his detetector, he doesnt deserve to own it. Please dont think all detectorist are like him.

John Silvered

Apr 18, 2012
Arrrrgh.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He did break a law...you cant keep a found item, you have to turn it in to the police. I cant believe how many people dont know the law. Even if it wasnt the law, that guy is a scumbag for doing that to you. You should have knocked his ass out and took your ring and his detetector, he doesnt deserve to own it. Please dont think all detectorist are like him.

How many children is he trying to feed? Does his wife have cancer and needs chemo treatments? What do you know about this scumbag?

I would not behave like him ever...but people are desperate out there...

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many children is he trying to feed? Does his wife have cancer and needs chemo treatments? What do you know about this scumbag?

Irreguardless, people that break the law get punished. Desperate people also mug people, rob banks, etc. Until they are prosecuted, they will continue to rob others. He knew it was yours and extorted money from you to get it back. Keeping it would have been theft, no different than had he taken it from your unlocked car.

Al

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehhh, perhaps you best read the post again, this happened in Holland. Sorry, but I'm not up on European law :tongue3:

What he did was wrong, not doubt, but I think he just wanted to make sure he was going to be compensated for his time and effort.

RobbieB

Greenie
Nov 22, 2011
Franklin, Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea he proly should have been upfront with wanting to be paid. But he wasn't...at least the story ended on a happy note. Sorry that your experience wasn't great...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So his problems make it ok to break the law? What I know about this scumbag is that he was wrong.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehhh, perhaps you best read the post again, this happened in Holland. Sorry, but I'm not up on European law :tongue3:

What he did was wrong, not doubt, but I think he just wanted to make sure he was going to be compensated for his time and effort.
Your right, Hollands lost items law may be different than in the U.S.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I doubt the laws are any different, you never know. Another thing we may take into consideration is language. I am assuming that guy helping was from Holland, probably speaks Dutch, and perhaps German and French too. So apparently he was also able to converse in English, so Elysium, just how many languages are you proficient in :dontknow:

Not that I'm making excuses for what is considered bad behavior, but there may have been some miscommunication involved too. Remember we are hearing one side of the story and even the thinnest sheet of paper has two sides :laughing7:

In all, I'm glad it worked out for you :thumbsup:

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much did he make you pay? Doesnt make any difference, just curious.

OP
OP
3lysium87

3lysium87

Greenie
May 27, 2012
Freeport MI
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holland Michigan guys hahahahaha. He got $30. My father has been detecting for almost 33 years so I know that most Metal Heads are not like that. I know desperate, unable to work and to have 2 dollars in pocket is not fun but I would not take what another man has worked for ever.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holland Michigan...now thats funny.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not defending his immoral behavior, but he could have acted like he was looking for it, claimed he couldn't find it and come back later and get it.I have heard of this happening at tourist beach's quite often. I'm sure it was well worth more than $30.00.........Scott.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread