Upvote 0

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Depends upon how big of a piece you need and what you want to spend.

If you are lucky you can find a busted pool table and salvage one of pieces or you can buy a cheap one on Craigslist. (Post for slate in the wanted section too)

Call Pirates Den or Happy's & ask who recovers their tables - this guy may know where a piece or three of slate are gathering dust.

Also check at the Habitat Restore and ask if they've got any slabs

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Okie I have heard that Michaels (spelling) or other craft stores may carry it I am also looking I am going to try home depote and other flooring stores and try to get some slate tiles.This Oklahoma gold is impossible to get seperate from the sand.
Happy Hunting

OP
OP
OKIE

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep me posted. the closest home depot is 1.5 hours away from me and Lowes dont have any... bummer.
Good to hear from ya bud.

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
You could use the next best thing , glass. You could probably use just about any glass but old thick mirrors are cheap and easy to find at yard sales , etc. Mirrors already have a nice coating on the back but if you scuff it a little with fine sandpaper or steel wool and then paint it with chalkboard paint you have instant slate. glue it down to a piece of lumber for strength and support and it makes a nice miller table.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Keep me posted. the closest home depot is 1.5 hours away from me and Lowes dont have any... bummer.
Good to hear from ya bud.

Just got back from Walmart got a quart of chalkboard paint for $9.00 covers 90-120 ft I have some sheets of new Lexan so miller table in the works

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
the pool table top would be 3/4 inchs thich.thats way to heavey for what your wanting to make. i got a peice of old school chalkboard from a friend(like was posted above) and it was 3/8 inch thich and heavy,but it worked!i like the slate a lot better than the calkboard spray paint. yes i did try both!and remeber, screen everything to take advantage of the specific gravity of the material! the finer the gold,the slower the water for best recovery!

OP
OP
OKIE

OKIE

Jan 8, 2012
Iron Station, NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys.
I live on a limited monthly income, and I don't have an Ebay account any more, SO the cheaper the better.
Keep me posted on ur table OBP.
I am now in the process of making a platform and floats for my 3" hi banker dredge combo, using what limited materials i have on hand.... its going to be tuff cuz i dont have much to work with :icon_scratch: ... but that's life :tongue3:

ohiochris

May 6, 2009
Thanks for the help guys.
I live on a limited monthly income, and I don't have an Ebay account any more, SO the cheaper the better.
Keep me posted on ur table OBP.
I am now in the process of making a platform and floats for my 3" hi banker dredge combo, using what limited materials i have on hand.... its going to be tuff cuz i dont have much to work with :icon_scratch: ... but that's life :tongue3:

I know what you mean , the only way I can do this hobby is to go as cheap as possible myself. Thats why its good to build all my own equipment if I can , and thats half the fun of gold prospecting anyway. I started out building my own sluice box , but wound up realizing thats one piece of equipment most are better off buying pre made , by the time you buy all the materials for a good one that you can trust is catching the gold , you have already spent enough to buy one anyway. The miller table and sucker tubes are a whole other story , they are simple and dont take much.

Barndawg

Jan 14, 2011
Illinois (STL area)
Detector(s) used
Home made gold prospecting equipment of various types
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually, having to make the best with what you have has created skills that have come in handy. I enjoy making my own equipment. It's really satisfying to know I built the same thing others spend hundreds on and it works just as well or better. The more I build my own gear, the better it gets too.
Right Russ?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
yep! i prefer to make my own equipment also! i have the time/tools/knowledge and not the big bucks it takes to buy it. BUT if you dont have all of the time/tools/knowledge to do this, look at the for sale items for used and not abused equipment. it seems theres always young people that want to rush in and buy new equipment and dont know how to use it and get frustrated and quit, then sell it off! and by all means, slow down! you can/will waste a lot of time and energy shoveling/dredgeing to fast and blowout all that fine gold you worked hard for!

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
I was also looking for some slate for a miller table, did a lot of looking and then put an ad on Craigs list and got 3 responses within a week. (Not saying you'll have that good of luck.) It cost me gas money and a $5. bill. Here''s a pic of not quite finished table.
Miller Table.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread