What's new

slate

mainejman

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
1,878
Golden Thread
0
Location
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today for awhile.Sure was a beautiful day.I was digging away when I hear .........hey what are ya digging?....That began a nice chat with a game warden.He was very interested in the process.I gave him a few pottery sherds and some chips so he had something to compare with when he looked.In return he gave me some possible places to hunt.Here's what I found....Theres a piece of hexagonal slate bayonet.Then I got a knife preform, a long stemmed point.The rest are brokes...

ForumRunner_20140420_194113.webp



ForumRunner_20140420_194233.webp



ForumRunner_20140420_194305.webp



ForumRunner_20140420_194340.webp
 
Upvote 0
Wow! Great day to hunt huh? I'd say! Congratulations! 8-)
 
It really does not get much rarer then a slate bayonet. You can see the stem clearly and it's a beautiful grade of slate. Only in the Far Northeast. Part of a deep sea hunting kit and you're really lucky to be able to hunt a Maritime Archaic site.
wow...

These are all from Maine, all slate. Biggest is a 14 inch "bayonet". So folks from outside Maine will know what you found:
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    92.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Really neat finds and that slate piece is Cool! :icon_thumright:
 
Thanks for the info Charl.This piece deserves more attention than I can give it.I'm limited on this phone and posting from it can be down right frustrating at times.There are definetly a few different components present at this site.Finding a whole one is probably not likely but one in pieces would be acceptable to me.On this site I believe anything could happen.
 
That is a seriously great piece. You're very fortunate. Congrats
 
Thanks red earth here's some more slate....mjm
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20140421_081848.webp
    ForumRunner_20140421_081848.webp
    43.8 KB · Views: 92
Nice pieces. We have slate here but I have only found 1 broken drilled piece so far. Looks like you have found quite a few nice pieces
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom