Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With only one field left and even this has no site, just near one the options have dried out. My buddy got a nice celtic silver there yesterday so we gave it a second try today. It's close to the Dec. 1944 front line so WWII stuff was expected. Shrapnel was eyeballed everywhere and finds were sparse. Hoping for the one good find. We managed 2 1/2 hrs before a heavy thunderstorm stopped us. Too bad, it just felt right there...

Usual brass with some unusual 20mm casings
41194106cj.jpg

Musket balls
41194107bi.jpg

Buttons, cauldron foot, buckle part and a weird piece of ???
41194108ie.jpg

Closeup. Heavy, you can't scratch it easily with a piece of bronze cast in, about 1 1/4" in diameter, looking like a pouring neck?
41194111ak.jpg

Coins, zinc and aluminum, so probably also WWII related.
41194109zl.jpg

My finds of the day, flint blade and heart stone. The heart is whats left from the the raw flint after splitting blades and scrapers off.
41194110ux.jpg

And the grenade.... German 50mm AP shell with bottom fuze. Quite dangerous and i couldn't call the bomb disposal because of the long weekend after bank holiday yesterday. I had to carry it to the corner of the field and rebury for later pickup by the officials next week. :tongue3:
41194105fq.jpg

Upvote 18

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
.....That grenade story is the craziest thing I have read in awhile..... if it goes boom now are you in trouble, if you survive that is..

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm sure you saw what happened after Cru'dad got his silver, so it was definitely worth returning.
This time of year does force you to try tough places, but like you say, your just aiming for 1 good find & it can like mine, one of the best!
Not sure on the bronze thing but could be a left over bit of metal working.
The flint made it all worth it & if you have no other options, grid the whole field.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nicely done on the flints.
That grenade would of made something slam shut if I'd dug it!
Makes one wonder how many times over the past 75 yrs it has been moved around from working the fields.

Last edited:

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!! Cool finds!!!!

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! I’ve still got some WW2 eyeball finds from the forest near Arnhem. I wish I could go back!

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm sure you saw what happened after Cru'dad got his silver, so it was definitely worth returning.
This time of year does force you to try tough places, but like you say, your just aiming for 1 good find & it can like mine, one of the best!
Not sure on the bronze thing but could be a left over bit of metal working.
The flint made it all worth it & if you have no other options, grid the whole field.

I'll try again tomorrow, there must be another one somewhere.... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Westfront

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done on the flints.
That grenade would of made something slam shut if I'd dug it!
Makes one wonder how many times over the past 75 yrs it has been moved around from working the fields.

Thanks, love the flint too!
I don't think the grenade has been moved around often. Due to crop rotation it had been in the sugar beet harvester soon if on top. Also the thick rust is a sign of laying deep without much movement. Years ago we had sometimes 10 or 15 shells found in the winter season, now it dries out with 1 or 2 a year. Good sign, but still places here that are heavily ammo infested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread