SLOW START

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Sheesh! After being away from metaldetecting for about 5 years, I remember now how discuraging it can be at times. I went out today for the first time "in forever". The first place I found was a house trailer. Yep.....you heard me right, but what I noticed was an old stone spring house in the side of the hill beside it. I stopped and asked. The elderly lady told me there had been a house there that had burnt down around 1920 or so. I spent the next 5 hours there swinging. Total take......5 memorials and this spoon.

Above the face on the handle it has the date 1898. Below the face it has 1492. On the "bowl" of the spoon it has an engraving of a building and under that it says "transportation building". No idea what it is, but guess it is some kind of suvenier or collection type spoon. No real value, but kinda cool.

Next I went to the foundation of an old church. The sand stone step is about all that remains, with the date 1822 carved into it. There was a small grave yard beside it with the latest date on any stone being 1866. Totally got skunked at this one. Wouldn't ya think............................. lol

beep!

Attachments

• 6-13-09 003.jpg
    6-13-09 003.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 536
Upvote 0
Yeah, you just never know.... Sometimes the places you think will be the most prime spots produce nothing. Then there's the opposite - places you don't expect anything thing from, but you come away with a great surprise!

Better luck next time! At least you got out. :thumbsup:

HH,

Dr. Ace

Crusader,
Un-freeking-believable! Great quick research there buddy!! Yep, that is it, right down to "standard" writen on the back of the spoon handle.

Pretty cool knowing what it is and where it originated. Thanks!

Now, how about sending me a link to my next "honey hole" where I will find the gold! lol

thanks again,
Beep!

deepbeep said:
Crusader,
Un-freeking-believable! Great quick research there buddy!! Yep, that is it, right down to "standard" writen on the back of the spoon handle.

Pretty cool knowing what it is and where it originated. Thanks!

Now, how about sending me a link to my next "honey hole" where I will find the gold! lol

thanks again,
Beep!

Forgot to welcome you to Tnet from this side of the pond :icon_thumright:

If you ever get a whatzit, stick it in the 'What Is It' section & our guys will have it cracked in minutes :D

Welcome back deepbeep. We all have those slow days. I think I been on my all month. But I keep on trying never know when the good stuff will be. Good luck next time out and will be looking for your posts......Matt

Well, I have found an explaination for the "SLOW START". I was talking on the phone with a lady in my town about where the "village picnic area" was. She is 98 years old and I figured she would know. She did! but there is a ranch house sitting on it now. Anyway, in the conversation, she said why don't you come check my yard. The house she lives in was built in 1880 and she has lived there since 1930. 4 minutes later, I was at her house.

After 40 minutes of swinging the coil with NOTHING, I started wondering. I through down a quarter, dime and penny. Again........
not a thing! The GTA1000 has given up after just 19 years of hard use. She has sure been a good one.

My best find of the day though was this: Tonight (Tuesday) I found a GTAX550 on ebay, brand new (NIB) with 2 coils, extra battery packs, and several other extras for $300.00 bucks with free shipping on a buy-it-now!

I can't believe I have been detecting for 19 years without a back up detector. I will be sending the GTA1000 into Garrett. Hopefully, it won't be serious and I will now have a backup detector.

The good news is........3 really great spots that I hunted recently that produced next to nothing.........are brand new sites to check! lol

Tim

Hang in there, it sounds like you have some decent sites to hit after your up and running again. Dr. Ace hit the nail on head with my experiences. Welcome back and Good Luck on next hunt !!

TommNJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back