Sluice magnets

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:help: Just yet another urban myth--think of a OREO cookie--the dark being the black sands and the center as you tiny gold as the center. Now see your gold go by by in the trash--All black sands must be rerun when using magnets--unless your rich--in which case you would't be mining??? tons a au 2 u 2 -John :notworthy:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
i use rare earth magnets inside of PVC pipe at the headend of my cleanup sluice. everything is screened/rerun anyway but this helps keeping my sluice from loading with BS.i am only using 1 set for now but i do see a need for more PVC pipes. they loadup fast and you need to keep them wiped off into a pan. i have been running into lots of BS where ive been dredgeing. if your not getting lots of BS and causeing a problem, then maybe its not worth the time todo this! all my BS gets crushed and rerun also. this gives me something else todo in the winter.

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Was goint to buy a large magnet anyway. I went an got a 4"x2"x1" magnet. Ill try it on my sluice next outing but would like to get a smaller sluice. I would not use it with idle gravel but thinking about having it positioned above the end of the first riffle. Hopefully i wont have to have the magnet any lower that just barely touching the water if that. Id like to get a 6" sluice for crevacing, magnet should be perfect fit, but i will try it in the 10" and see.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a magnet as well about 2-3 inches above the first riffle,works great and doesnt bring up gold due to the fact it has to "jump up",.Be care ful that your super magnet doesnt magnetize your whole sluice,you will notice right off though!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
russau said:
the sluice i use this on is my cleanup sluice and its all aluminum or PVC.
OOPS! Mine too,I meant your riffles :wink:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldfever1978 said:
Do you guys use any special type or style of magnets? :dontknow:
Rare Earth,they are amazing,not your ordinary refer magnet!!!There is actually an outfit that sells a kit,kind of high priced if you ask me,but they are ready to roll... http://www.sluicemagnet.net/

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can take your b/s that you caught with your magnet,clean with various methods vinegar/ or stronger.crush -or roast then throw in cold water.re run and be suprised what you were going to throw away!i have seen large pieces stuck to a magnet then take a close look and see a piece of gold with magnatite .

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I had bought a bunch including 1/4x1/4, 1/2x1/2, 1/2x1, 1x1 before i bought the recent batch of 1.5x3/8 for my pick, 2x1/2 for meteorite canes and the big 4x2x1. The smaller magnets do really pull but they lose their pull drastically as you get them further away. I even tested a small vial of garnets and gold and about 1/4 of the garnets were drawn to the magnet and they seemed clear. So you never know. The 1x1 n48 is the smallest magnet that really pulled and caused movment from objects a good 6" away, although i could not get black sands to jump out of a cup of water form 4+" away with it. I would stick with a magnet atleast 1" thick if your trying to draw black sands out from a distance. As soon as i get a cover for my 4x2x1 i will test it, its supposed to have 290# of pull. Made some nice fridge magnets not affected by a breeze ;D with a 1/4x1/4 and5/16x1/4. On my sluice which i added V matting the entire flare gold doesnt move much from where it lands in the flare so not to worried about big pieces of gold tangeled with black sands just past the first riffle.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
my rare earth magnets are 3/4 dia and 3/4 tall. they had the most magnetic pull of the sizes i wanted. and they fit into my 3/4 PVC pipe that i use to span my sluice. i have only 1 PVC pipe setup now but i will have several more as i ge time to assemble/install them.i made a hanger for these that i just set the PVC pipe onto that is adjustable over the sluice. this holder will allow mw to fine tune its height for MAX. pickup of BS.

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Hey Hoser, You don;t have to rerun all your black sands. Totally dry the concentrates, then get the magnetics out. Do this three times. I know it sounds like a hassle, but it is worth it. Then pan or use whatever method you have been and I think you;ll be surprised to see the exra gold. Use shampoo on final clean-up. Jimmygoat

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
Today I decided to buy a sluice magnet, and decided my best bet was to buy a heavy hitter sluice magnet at sluice magnet.net. The unit I was buying was a 6.5" at $25.95, about what you'd expect to pay anywhere. Couldn't believe the shipping is $17.95. I guess I don't need one that bad. I did pick up a few ideas in this post but no matter what you purchase the shipping kills me. I will try to find some magnets locally, and make one.
Wayne

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Thread Fellas,
FYI - there are RE magnets in the Phillips Sonicare electric tooth brushes and they are very strong. They are part of the brush so every time the brush is replaced you now have two RE magnets available. I pull um off and keep them with my panning/sluicing gear but they could be glued or pushed into a heavy straw, think windshield wiper tubing, and then used in a sluice IF you had enough of them. Now how to get people to save their used Sonicare brushes for you??? Offer free candy?

63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread