What's new

Small button/pin with a #2

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
1,103
Reaction score
17
Golden Thread
0
Location
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this yesterday in a yard that dates back to the mid-1700's.
This button/pin came from an area and stratum that also produced
a handful of flat buttons, a 1700's buckle chape, and a very nice 1803 LC.

The object in question is 13mm in diameter- about 2/3's the diameter of a dime.
It's bronze or brass, and the pin in the back is iron.
The numeral "2" on the front has my interest piqued...
 

Attachments

  • P1010005.webp
    P1010005.webp
    63.3 KB · Views: 459
  • P1010007.webp
    P1010007.webp
    53.4 KB · Views: 458
Re: Small button/pin with a #2- Possibly Rev. War Era?

Doesn't look early to me. Don't know what it is though.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small button/pin with a #2- Possibly Rev. War Era?

Iron Patch said:
Doesn't look early to me.

I know what you mean, IP.
The number just had me curious and a little excited.
Hope springs eternal...
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small button/pin with a #2- Possibly Rev. War Era?

Looked through lots of rev and 1812I buttons. Couldn't find anything close
 
Upvote 0
Re: Small button/pin with a #2- Possibly Rev. War Era?

skateandcreate said:
Looked through lots of rev and 1812I buttons. Couldn't find anything close

thanks S&C. between your answer and IP's,
think i'll take "Rev. War" out of the title.

dwayne
 
Upvote 0
Im assuming the item is a nail. We had a discussion on brass tacks awhile back. I do not claim to be an expert just trying to get the conversation going. I seem to remember old tacks were all brass including the shank. The number looks old though. :dontknow: I wonder if it could be a date nail or a numbered storm window nail.
 

Attachments

  • tacks brass.webp
    tacks brass.webp
    195.5 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0
BCH, it looks as though we may be getting down to the brass tacks.
thank you for the suggestion.
i think yours is a very plausible hypothesis.
i will check the storm windows next time i go to the site.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Im assuming the item is a nail. We had a discussion on brass tacks awhile back. I do not claim to be an expert just trying to get the conversation going. I seem to remember old tacks were all brass including the shank. The number looks old though. :dontknow: I wonder if it could be a date nail or a numbered storm window nail.

it IS a numbered storm window nail. property owner confirmed it.
thanks bigcypresshunter!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom