What's new

Small item with writing on it...

Swartzie

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
791
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug this little bugger up this morning. Have no idea what it is. Was thinking maybe a bird band or something along those lines. The diameter measures .35 inches. The writing is: 24 COL 238 IF

Any help is much appreciated.
-Swartzie
 

Attachments

  • unknown_a.webp
    unknown_a.webp
    17 KB · Views: 306
  • unknown_b.webp
    unknown_b.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 300
  • unknown_c.webp
    unknown_c.webp
    18.1 KB · Views: 299
  • unknown_d.webp
    unknown_d.webp
    20.9 KB · Views: 307
maybe a bird leg band?

Todd
 
Upvote 0
I was ready to jump into complete agreement that your find was a bird leg band, then I noticed something. Leg bands are crimped on the birds leg, and that would require a break somewhere in the band. Your item looks to be solid. Other than that, wouldn't have the slightest. Maybe a wire or cable I.D.
 
Upvote 0
There are several types of bird band, "open" which is crimped closed around the birds leg, "closed" which is slid over the closed foot onto the leg, and "rivet or lock" which, as the name suggests, is riveted through a flange. See the link for more detail :icon_thumleft:.

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbl/homepage/btypes.htm


hammered
 
Upvote 0
And I was just looking at that site and didn't see the solid bands. Yup, I guess first guess was the best.
 
Upvote 0
Racing Pigeon Band
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
unless it's GOL

GOL Greater Oklahoma Limited R.P.C.
Lynette Haws.................................(405)391-3678
16505 S.E. 44, Choctaw,
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom