What's new

small metal disc

marshall2702

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
cambridge uk
Detector(s) used
whites spectrum xlt
hi i had a couple of hours out this morning in a field in milton on the edge of cambridge in the uk that has recently been ploughed and i dug this small metal disc it gave a +55 on the vdi scale of my whites metal detector.
im not sure if this is a small hammered coin or not as its quite badly worn , i can see some bits of detail on it but not much what do you guys think ?

i put it next to a uk 5 pence piece for size comparison.

thanks for looking !!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0072.webp
    IMG_0072.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0073.webp
    IMG_0073.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0074.webp
    IMG_0074.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 344
Is this a dog or horse?
 

Attachments

  • coin?.webp
    coin?.webp
    47.5 KB · Views: 350
Upvote 0
it could be creskol , there is deffo somthing in that area of it
ive been staring at it to long today its making my eyes hurt lol
 
Upvote 0
been playing around with light and camera and took this pic
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0075.webp
    IMG_0075.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0
:hello:

I think it may be a Roman Bronze Coin, with two standing figures..I see you are from Cambridge, which makes it even more likely :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

I think it may be a Roman Bronze Coin, with two standing figures..I see you are from Cambridge, which makes it even more likely :icon_thumleft:

SS

100% a Roman bronze Coin but looks to be 1 figure standing holding spear :icon_thumright: Circa 4th C AD.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Silver Searcher said:
:hello:

I think it may be a Roman Bronze Coin, with two standing figures..I see you are from Cambridge, which makes it even more likely :icon_thumleft:

SS

100% a Roman bronze Coin but looks to be 1 figure standing holding spear :icon_thumright: Circa 4th C AD.
:laughing9:

Well I see 2 :tongue3:
 
Upvote 0
marshall2702 said:
hi i had a couple of hours out this morning in a field in milton on the edge of cambridge in the uk that has recently been ploughed and i dug this small metal disc it gave a +55 on the vdi scale of my whites metal detector.
im not sure if this is a small hammered coin or not as its quite badly worn , i can see some bits of detail on it but not much what do you guys think ?

i put it next to a uk 5 pence piece for size comparison.

thanks for looking !!!


Neat find!! 55 VDI would be about right for a small bronze alloy coin. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Thx for your help guys I was hoping it was a roman hammered coin as the oldest coin I've had so far is a 1906 penny lol this has made my day
 
Upvote 0
marshall2702 said:
Thx for your help guys I was hoping it was a roman hammered coin as the oldest coin I've had so far is a 1906 penny lol this has made my day

Although part of the Roman coin manufacturing process was to hammer it, its not a word usually associated with Roman Coins but one used for later medieval Silver. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Although part of the Roman coin manufacturing process was to hammer it, its not a word usually associated with Roman Coins but one used for later medieval Silver. :thumbsup:
[/quote]


Thx for the heads up :) , Learn something new everyday
 
Upvote 0
after looking at other coin pictures i believe it is a CARAUSIUS coin
 

Attachments

  • CARAUSIUS.webp
    CARAUSIUS.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom