What's new

small metal vile found in creek bed

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
1,263
Reaction score
685
Golden Thread
0
Location
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been working the new detector hard the past few weekends , at the same farm that dates back to the late 1700's - early 1900's .Since we havent had much rain and the field area was getting hot today at 95 degree's I decide to make a run down the creek beds since they are dried up currently about 100 feet into it I found a spot where if something fell in the water it would stop right there becuase of deposit points in the creek and sure enough hit a nice solid signal was hoping for a button but out came this little metal vile . Standing at 2 1/4 inches tall and half a inch at the top and 1 1/4 at the bottom no seams at all very crude shaped and a widled down stick stuck inside of it for a cork ,the wood was swollen and wet and kind of stuck to the metal really good ,maybe hickory or walnut or oak . It was about 12 inches down in the sand on the bank of the creek . Anyone have any idea's on what it is and what it was for and time era ? I know from personal exsperiance that ive found bottles over a hundred years old in the ground with the cork still intact inside the bottle ,so I guess with wood if its just right conditions could last that long inside metal .
 

Attachments

  • vile mitchels 7-25.webp
    vile mitchels 7-25.webp
    6.7 KB · Views: 480
  • vile mitchels 2 7-25-09.webp
    vile mitchels 2 7-25-09.webp
    6 KB · Views: 507
Possibly a powder flask? Also looks like maybe a gear shift knob. Or a float of some kind?
Scott
 
Upvote 0
Defenitly not a gear shift knob , it is made of lead I forgot to mention that in my post . On site last week I found .69 cal and .58 cal three ringers 4 flat buttons a friend found a CW officers button . I have numerous harmonica reeds and a knap sack hook the other week .
 
Upvote 0
Kind of looks like the end of a ramrod.


GG~
 
Upvote 0
I think with the wood in the end of it, and given that it's hollow... it's either a walking stick or swagger stick topper... are you sure it's lead and not pewter?

canes.webp
 
Upvote 0
It is possible its pewter ,but as for size its to small to hold in your hand comfortable . And the mouth is kind of fluted on the inside .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom