What's new

Small mortar?

nickcoin

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
40
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Can someone help me identify these. These were found at a bluff site near Hermann MO. Limestone bluff, decent outcropping, small cave, and a lot of bowling ball sized flint boulders. There is also a very large rock that had fallen from the ceiling long ago and it had the same kind of pecked at depressions. 4-5 different diameters. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • image-2211313477.webp
    image-2211313477.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 126
  • image-435650059.webp
    image-435650059.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3186165724.webp
    image-3186165724.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 115
  • image-3567691169.webp
    image-3567691169.webp
    21.3 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0
Too perfect for a mortar. Might be for starting fires with maybe.
 
Nutting stones as best I can tell
 
If there were any large pieces like that fallen one you mentioned with multiple impressions like those in it I would definitely say those are natural and broke off of a larger section long ago. Standing water over long periods of time create divots like that.
 
Last edited:
GatorBoy said:
If there were any large pieces like that fallen one you mentioned with multiple impressions like those in it I would definitely say those are natural and broke off of a larger section long ago. Standing water over long periods of time create divots like that.

I hear ya, but it's not water. This rock is large enough for more than several people to sit on. The Depressions are the same size as the ones I'm showing with a couple of smaller ones. The area around them is as smooth at the handheld one's. the rest of the rock is rough. The site is well covered and I've been there when its raining and the rock is dry. Thanks for the help.
 
Nice finds
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130219_092919.webp
    ForumRunner_20130219_092919.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20130219_093212.webp
    ForumRunner_20130219_093212.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom