IMG_2372.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I believe that’s an apothecary weight. The symbol used for the ‘scruple’ is this: ℈, which may or may not have serifs,

Numerals for unit quantity are usually expressed in lower case Latin as I, ii, iii and so on. However the letters i and j were regarded as interchangeable in olden times and so the digit i was often expressed as j, particularly when it’s the terminal digit. So, the number two was often expressed as ij, three as iij, four as iiij and so on.

It’s clearer in the second picture, but what looks like a y is, I think, the result of the i and j being stylistically conjoined. They’re then further conjoined with the ‘scruple’ symbol. Something like this:

Scruples.jpg

If it is a two scruple weight, it should be 2.6 grams.

Upvote 9

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting. I believe that’s an apothecary weight. The symbol used for the ‘scruple’ is this: ℈, which may or may not have serifs,

Numerals for unit quantity are usually expressed in lower case Latin as I, ii, iii and so on. However the letters i and j were regarded as interchangeable in olden times and so the digit i was often expressed as j, particularly when it’s the terminal digit. So, the number two was often expressed as ij, three as iij, four as iiij and so on.

It’s clearer in the second picture, but what looks like a y is, I think, the result of the i and j being stylistically conjoined. They’re then further conjoined with the ‘scruple’ symbol. Something like this:

View attachment 2106844

That's what I thought it was also.
Great explanation 👌

Upvote 1

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2106844

Correct. And I’ll add that the reason the last i was turned into a j was to stop people from altering a prescription nefariously (like turning a “1” into a “7” on a check to get more money)

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread