It's certainly the right diameter for a sceat, you should clean it then, I will ID it for you.While I was looking for an other coin I saw this small silver coin, found in England, that I never have asked for a determination.
The only thing I can think of is a Sceatta.
Any help appreciated!
Ø 11.0 mm
Gewicht 0,43g
Materiaal zilver
Well I have not cleaned it because there is really nothing to clean, there is only a thin patina on the coin (as far as I can see), but it can be cleaned up somemore. And also I am not 100% sure its silver, but seeing its size and weight it almost has to be. That is the mail reason I have not cleaned it further, must know the material first. The patina is somewhat different that I have found on silver coins until now. There is a very dark brown patina, with some touches of lighter brown. Not what I have usually seen on silver. I was thinking to let the coin be cleaned professionally (I have a different sceatta that needs looking into), the cost is not much, I am guessing 20 euros. But again, don't really want to remove the patina on this coin. Sort of don't know what to do, do you have any tips.It's certainly the right diameter for a sceat, you should clean it then, I will ID it for you.
SS
Don't worry about the colour...it's silver you would now if it was bronze, the only saxon coins made of bronze that size, are the Northumbrian styca, and it's not likely to be one of those. I have seen the sceats come out the ground all colours including one that was totally iron incrusted. I would just soak in lemon juice, it's slow, but thats a good thing. If the lemon juice starts to turn green you know you have copper content, just watch it, and you can stop the process any time.Well I have not cleaned it because there is really nothing to clean, there is only a thin patina on the coin (as far as I can see), but it can be cleaned up somemore. And also I am not 100% sure its silver, but seeing its size and weight it almost has to be. That is the mail reason I have not cleaned it further, must know the material first. The patina is somewhat different that I have found on silver coins until now. There is a very dark brown patina, with some touches of lighter brown. Not what I have usually seen on silver. I was thinking to let the coin be cleaned professionally (I have a different sceatta that needs looking into), the cost is not much, I am guessing 20 euros. But again, don't really want to remove the patina on this coin. Sort of don't know what to do, do you have any tips.
Might take a while so be patient....OK SS, will try. I usually use diluted lemon juice, is that the best?
Yes, would like that very much Cru. Just though that maybe someone might recognize the lines and size of the coin, I am not much of a coin man, know very little about the tiny coins.What do you want, miracles? It might be a Sceat as suggested, might be...............................................
Yes, would like that very much Cru. Just though that maybe someone might recognize the lines and size of the coin, I am not much of a coin man, know very little about the tiny coins.
If you hadn't of said silver, then I would have gone with Roman Barborous Radiate, I think I see a crude nose & head etc.. Some of these would have very poorly done reverses.