Small slate teardrop pendant with tally marks

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This small slate teardrop pendant with tally marks is 1 7/8 inches long.
teardrop_pendant_w_tally_marks.jpg

teardrop_pendant_w_tally_marks_obv.jpg

Both sides has a single tally mark
teardrop_pendant_tally_marks.jpg

Close up of the hole, conical drilling from both sides. Inside where the drilling met is well worn down but where the drill met you can see under magnification the rim, also the upper area of the outside of the hole is worn, So the hole is not as round as when initially drilled.

teardrop_pendant_w_tally_marks_hole.jpg

Upvote 23

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a beauty! You’re in just the right spot for the good slate. That type of slate is called Huronian, its source near Lake Huron. The glacier brought it down into IN and OH. I’m in IL and we are too far west and I’ve never seen any of the Huronian in the glacial till. Slate is shale that has undergone metamorphosis and it takes a real nice polish.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pendant, especially with the tally marks. Wish we knew for sure what the tally marks represented.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pendant looks like you’ve got the market cornered on slate, you think the hole changed with wear? How long do you think that would take?

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "tally marks" looks to me like they were possibly there to provide purchase for something tied to the pendant, probably decorative, just a guess.

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Great pendant looks like you’ve got the market cornered on slate, you think the hole changed with wear? How long do you think that would take?
yes, the hole has changed due to use wear. I have not done any test to determine the wear time on slate. I think different slates would wear differently. I have a few other slate items which the hole shows wear. No idea how long it may take for sure, but I think it would take a number of years.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The "tally marks" looks to me like they were possibly there to provide purchase for something tied to the pendant, probably decorative, just a guess.
agree... notice how both marks are at the same level. I vote something was attached to hang from it, making this pendant even better!

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful!
I have not heard or read of "tally marks" before now... I have managed to figure out (I am slow) what marks you all are referring to, but what is the "definition" of these marks? Want to learn.

Thanks.

vfm

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful!
I have not heard or read of "tally marks" before now... I have managed to figure out (I am slow) what marks you all are referring to, but what is the "definition" of these marks? Want to learn.

Thanks.

vfm
Here is my best pendant with the most tally marks. No one knows for sure what they mean or represent. Tally marks are distinctive notches in the worked piece.

1000002557.jpg

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was in 2nd grade I got my first Daisy BB rifle. I turned into a bird killer real quick. I tally marked the plastic stock with each kill. We moved to the city when I was in 5th grade and I could no longer hunt birds. By that time I had 125 tally marks on my stock. Tally marks could represent about anything and the Indians used tally marks a lot.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in 2nd grade I got my first Daisy BB rifle. I turned into a bird killer real quick. I tally marked the plastic stock with each kill. We moved to the city when I was in 5th grade and I could no longer hunt birds. By that time I had 125 tally marks on my stock. Tally marks could represent about anything and the Indians used tally marks a lot.
LOL, I had a couple Daisy BB rifles growing up, did a lot of camping as a kid, bird hunting was how I got my food, then cooked it on a spit.

I have thought about tally marks as being possibly kill totals, like some gunfighters did in the old west since pendants were personal items.

Who knows?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread