What's new

Smelly ants?

swolfe

Full Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2012
Messages
219
Reaction score
438
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rockford Illinois
Detector(s) used
Beep and Dig Harbor Freight 9 function detector.
Whites Coinmaster DB/4
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Often when I am digging targets I will cut into an ant nest. When I cut into the nest of the small red ants I often notice a strong odor similar to citrus or pine. Has anyone else ever experienced this?
 
Not that I've noticed, but then I'm busy trying to keep them off me and in check till I get the target and get the heck out of there! Maybe they like to build their nest in pieces of buried pine wood?
 
That's the smell of 30,000+ ants pooping at the same time.
You scared them.
You would do the same if while in the middle of dinner a backhoe sliced through your dining room.
 
That's the smell of 30,000+ ants pooping at the same time.
You scared them.
You would do the same if while in the middle of dinner a backhoe sliced through your dining room.

Depends on what I had on my plate for dinner that night... baby backs, large T-bone or a plate of fried chicken I'd get mad later.
 
I've come across ants that smell like lemons also
 
Depends on what I had on my plate for dinner that night... baby backs, large T-bone or a plate of fried chicken I'd get mad later.

Steamers,baked potatos and corn on the cob
 
I am only about 30 miles from you swolfe. I read your post earlier this morning and so I was out today dug a plug straight into a fire ants nest. Next ting I know im sniffing a plug full of ants. Yes it did have a distinct smell of decomposition.
 
I had never heard of 'odorous' ants before; but a few years ago, here in Idaho, I had some ant problems. I called an exterminator that I knew. He came over and did some 'exterminating' for me. He asked me if I ever smelled an odd odor in the little washer/dryer room. I said that I had several times. He said there was a nest close to the outside door. He said these were 'odorous' ants. A few days later, after the chemicals had taken effect, I no longer smelled them.
 
Dang,now y'all are gonna have me looking like some ole crazy woman sniffing the ground!
 
I had never heard of 'odorous' ants before; but a few years ago, here in Idaho, I had some ant problems. I called an exterminator that I knew. He came over and did some 'exterminating' for me. He asked me if I ever smelled an odd odor in the little washer/dryer room. I said that I had several times. He said there was a nest close to the outside door. He said these were 'odorous' ants. A few days later, after the chemicals had taken effect, I no longer smelled them.
what your smelling is my sister in law up there :laughing7:
 
check out my stupid question post :dontknow:
 
I am only about 30 miles from you swolfe. I read your post earlier this morning and so I was out today dug a plug straight into a fire ants nest. Next ting I know im sniffing a plug full of ants. Yes it did have a distinct smell of decomposition.
maybe someday we can detect together!
 
ants in my yard smell like insecticide
 
Yes! I noticed a similar thing, except the odor is very pleasant almost sweet. If you google the topic there are many reason why that happens, and apparently different species smell differently.

Yes this is the SMELL!!! It's not bad and it's oddly pleasant!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom