Smothered okra

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
A south louisiana classic. I’ve been picking okra for about 2 weeks as I planted fairly early. Many variations to this recipe smoked sausage goes great with it. Simply brown onions, smoked sausage, garlic, add chopped okra/tomatoes, add stock, reduce heat, cover, and let it go. Serve over rice. Thanks for viewing! IMG_1351.jpeg

I love okra I have 9 plants growing now, I love it no matter how it is cooked, I eat it boiled, fried and wife puts it in soups too.

Naw, pretty much a fried okry guy. Well, Mom used to boil it with tomatoes, and that was good, then they would pickle it, I liked that, and you know your recipe sounds pretty good too. Can't grow it here, but in Oklahoma I would plant it on May 15th, same day you planted cotton. (Also opening day of squirrel season then, yeah buddy!)

Naw, pretty much a fried okry guy. Well, Mom used to boil it with tomatoes, and that was good, then they would pickle it, I liked that, and you know your recipe sounds pretty good too. Can't grow it here, but in Oklahoma I would plant it on May 15th, same day you planted cotton. (Also opening day of squirrel season then, yeah buddy!)
I tell ya RGINN It is quite a prolific and versatile crop. I have 13 plants and I’m picking everyday to the point I am tired of looking at it lol. I couldn’t imagine having 30 plants like some folks.

I’ll give that recipe a try. We have okra in the garden (18 plants) but they aren’t very tall yet.
I like to lightly grill the whole pods, after slightly oiling them.
We used chopped okra in a lot of various soups and dishes too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back