What's new

Snaffle bit for miniature pony????

vayank54

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2009
Messages
2,738
Reaction score
26
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I was digging a house site that dates from the late 1700's to the 1950's or 60's. I dug half of a snaffle bit and wonder if anyone has any ideas on it's use. And yes I know it isn't for a miniature pony :tongue3:
 

Attachments

  • bit.webp
    bit.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 335
If you ever meet up with that pony tell him I have 1 of his shoes.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 052.webp
    Picture 052.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 296
Upvote 0
taz42o said:
If you ever meet up with that pony tell him I have 1 of his shoes.

I have much smaller, the width of the gap is not much bigger than the dime. :D
 
Upvote 0
I wonder if they could have been game pieces or something. If you notice on the bit there is some slag left in the openings. I've see some toy soldiers and other things with slag left in them like that. I just thought it was kind of odd and sadly one of the better things I dug yesterday
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I wonder if they could have been game pieces or something. If you notice on the bit there is some slag left in the openings. I've see some toy soldiers and other things with slag left in them like that. I just thought it was kind of odd and sadly one of the better things I dug yesterday

might be for a good rocking horse :dontknow: :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Maybe it is part of a bigger item - like a trophy or something like that.

There is actually one that is called "The Snaffle Bit Futurity", who's awards has a snaffle bits on them.

There is also many others similar - like the Snaffle Bit Association, so, I'm thinking that it might have come from something like that.

B
 
Upvote 0
This isn't a pony - its the world's smallest horse - Thumbelina.
 

Attachments

  • worlds smallest horse-Thumbelina.webp
    worlds smallest horse-Thumbelina.webp
    4.3 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0
cool I wonder if Thumblina was in Va ha ha. The site I found it at was evidently a huge farm at one time as there are foundations of several large buildings other than the house by what I've dug around them they must have been barns or machine sheds.
 
Upvote 0
VaYank, I think it is a bit for a German antique straw stuffed horse on wheels, also known as a platform pull toy, circa late 1800's. The pic below is a larger horse, but they also made them in all sizes. I'll see if I can't find a better pic. It's a shame you didn't find the horse cause they are worth BIG $$$! Breezie
 

Attachments

  • AntiqueStrawStuffedHorse.webp
    AntiqueStrawStuffedHorse.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 231
Upvote 0
Thanks Breezie. I never thought of it being to something like that.
 
Upvote 0
looks similar to mine only smaller
 

Attachments

  • A.webp
    A.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 256
  • A.webp
    A.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
Thanks Breezie. I never thought of it being to something like that.

Many of those antique German stuffed (platform & non-platform) animals were very elaborately made and decorated. They were toys for the 'rich' during that time. Nice find! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
I wonder if they could have been game pieces or something. If you notice on the bit there is some slag left in the openings. I've see some toy soldiers and other things with slag left in them like that. I just thought it was kind of odd and sadly one of the better things I dug yesterday

might be for a good rocking horse :dontknow: :dontknow:

Breezie's suggestion was a variation on a theme ;D
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
CRUSADER said:
vayank54 said:
I wonder if they could have been game pieces or something. If you notice on the bit there is some slag left in the openings. I've see some toy soldiers and other things with slag left in them like that. I just thought it was kind of odd and sadly one of the better things I dug yesterday
might be for a good rocking horse :dontknow: :dontknow:
Breezie's suggestion was a variation on a theme ;D

CRU, as we say down South, 'Bless Your Heart' . . .of course you suggested a toy horse first. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom