What's new

Snail?

OmegaMan

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2007
Messages
720
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
OK, I dug this up at work in California and I can't figure out if this is a snail
or something else. It is the white object on the left of the rock.
Should I use a dremel tool to clean around the shell and snail or not.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking

Bill
 

Attachments

  • Picture 024.webp
    Picture 024.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Picture 026.webp
    Picture 026.webp
    24 KB · Views: 258
Bill, as you know, there are several things in that matrix. The largest ribbed thing is a bivalve of some sort, similar to a modern scallop. There appears to be another one below it. If you're making reference to the round form on the left edge, then it could be the mold of a gastropod (snail). I don't know what formation this was found in, so age is a wild guess. Just carefully clean it with a toothbrush and soapy water. It looks good in the matrix. Out of it, it's just another fossil shell. :wink:
 
Tylocidaris said:
Bill, as you know, there are several things in that matrix. The largest ribbed thing is a bivalve of some sort, similar to a modern scallop. There appears to be another one below it. If you're making reference to the round form on the left edge, then it could be the mold of a gastropod (snail). I don't know what formation this was found in, so age is a wild guess. Just carefully clean it with a toothbrush and soapy water. It looks good in the matrix. Out of it, it's just another fossil shell. :wink:
Thank you for the info.
 
Bill, if you do use a dremel, be very careful. Like the other man said, leave some of the matrix attached. I did a piece similar to the one you showed and used the dremel tool, as I took off some of the matrix, I found another completely different shell beneath...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom