What's new

Snuff Can Lid ? Cut Tombacs?

diggerranger

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2016
Messages
393
Reaction score
862
Golden Thread
0
Location
VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these items yesterday. I was wondering if the silver lid was a snuff can top?
My second question is I found this tombac button and it appears almost cut. I noticed tombacs posted on TreasureNet and other sites that appear cut. Did they cut tombacs back in Colonial days and pass off as cut silver?
Thanks ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547933349.244669.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547933369.443920.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547933389.828733.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547933409.463223.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1547933427.365148.webp
 
Tombac buttons break like that all the time, never seen a cut one.
 
Upvote 0
Tombacs tend to be a brittle metal and as Cru mentioned, they often come out broken especially the larger buttons.

To me your lid looks to be plated and relatively modern, by 'modern' I'm thinking 20thc.
Looks machine made, probably the top to a perfume or body spray atomizer. :icon_scratch:

Dave
 
Upvote 0
Good Id Dave and nice finds
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom