So a little saddened with detecting.

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I got my detector on Sunday and have been to a few parks and homes. Found mostly nails and random stuff. Was looked at funny by people in the park and had cops follow me. I didn't find anything at the homes I went to and I feel like it's a waste of time. My city isn't famous for anything in particular and I can't really travel super far. I guess I will stick with CRH. I am hoping to get a refund for my gear. I know I only used it for a few days and never expected to find anything awesome but was hoping for a wheat or something. I think because I have silver fever that I want to find everything. I love reading this forum and seeing what people pull from the ground.

Upvote 0

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my stepdads mom to let me look in her yard. She said she has like 2~3 acres of land. Her house was built in the 1930's I think.

Just go slow, take your time and try to imagine where the most foot traffic would occur. Ie next to driveways as people get out of there car, around porches etc.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
She said there used to be like a trash truck or something that used to cut through her back. I have no idea if that is good or bad, but I will follow the road. I think there is a rotted shed back there too.

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
that's prime area if it's from the 30's. my house was built in the fifty's I've found around 20 wheats, six silver dimes(two mercs and four Rosie's, sapphire heart pendant, fake ring(cubic zirconia) a crap load of copper Pennies, clad dimes,nickels and quarters. good luck keep your finds posted. and do not expect to find anything. then you will. that's how it works for me. lol

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've come to like trashy areas, I wouldn't hunt them exclusively, but i do not avoid them, as I continue to get better with my machine, the more goodies I seem to pluck out. One area in particular is quite large and very trashy, it has given me quite a sense of accomplishment on a few occasions, there's something about digging silver, wheats, and old buttons out of a trash minefield that is very satisfying. As you become more and more proficient with your machine, give those trashy areas a shot if they have any age to them, it will help to hone your skills, and you may be suprised what you may dig up.

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I am pretty excited for it. If all goes well and my pinpointer is here at a decent time, I will go Friday!

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pretty excited for it. If all goes well and my pinpointer is here at a decent time, I will go Friday!

I will tell you that your frustration level will drop when you are able to find the mud covered wheatie that your detector says is in the hole, but invisible to your eye. The pin pointer is always in my arsenal of tools when hunting. Never hunt without it. Good luck and keep a positive outlook at first. Not many find the mother load in the beginning.

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
ya, i don't know how i md'ed without a pinpointer before... it is a necessary item for me now

Fabbr

Jan 28, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro 5x8DD coil, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett pro pointer, Lesche, Grey Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the day I managed 6 years, but im with you..the pinpointer is amazing..one thing to keep in mind, say you get a strong hit on your detector..then you raise the coil 6-8 inches plus..still getting a hit, now sweep your pinpointer over the area..no hits? Deep...large junk/relic I do not dig these types of signals due to being on city property this tecnique will save you from digging can tops/whole cans, jar lids etc. Good luck, keep us posted on your progress.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Miroku, this may sound silly but it gets me goin' ...make your own treasure maps! This works for me...get, or draw your own map of the most busy popular ball fields in your area, draw lines from the middle of each parking lot to each stand of bleachers, then draw lines from each stand of bleachers to each concession stand, and lines from the bleachers and the concessions to each rest room. I do this and search these lines first, (it's people traffic lines), if you don't find coins or rings on these lines (or along the edges of the parking lots) then I would try it again elsewhere...if you find coins on these lines then search the whole park, also do this for every ball field in your area and if they produce, make it into a weekly route, after each weeks games there may be more on the surface. I also live in Indiana and just got some 1890's map of my town and found the location of a long gone passenger train station, across the street was an empty lot/park that is a mostly still empty today, I figured the empty lot was for tying up the horses...along a line from the station to the middle of the lot I dug a silver dollar, a 1922 peace dollar in extra fine 40 condition 3 inches deep, well within ace 250 range!...the research and map drawing is fun too...what's better then a real treasure map? Again, it may sound a little silly but it works for me! Darn, now the whole world knows my secret..hang in there and you will find good things, research pays off!

OP
OP
Miroku

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds good and fun! I hope to go out today. It keeps raining and it's only suppose to get up in the 50's. Maybe I will just go down the street and play with it. Then next Sat I can probably go to the house. I keep playing with the pinpointer and it's fun.

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
ya it finally stopped raining here. But it's only 33° though. good luck & HH

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
imagine the property and wood stacking, mabe find a cool old Axe out there to clean up and bring back to life, possibly your grandfathers.

khamsley

Mar 7, 2013
Middle Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2. Garrett ACE 150. Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't give up. I am new to metal detecting also. I have hunted for several months without finding much ( a small sterling ring and bunches of modern pennies and a couple of clad nickels, dimes and quarters ). Last week I found several wheat pennies, with the oldest a 1924. I felt a little better but still had not found a silver coin. I went out today and hunted a old home I have hunted many times before. I very first signal produced a 1907 Barber Dime! I am stoked! I have felt like you have. Keep hunting. Don't give up.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the way, What is the abrev. for CRH?
You should give it a chance, there is more ways to get lucky. One is the thrill of the hunt and another is good excercise and meeting good friends. Give it the good ol college try or It's up to you to quit if you want. What ever floats your boat Bro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread