What's new

So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Kut2TheChase

Full Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2007
Messages
139
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Just wondering what others experiences are related to this. I have seen the signs after a big storm and thought damn, this is the perfect time for me to go to the beach!
It's almost as if someone is trying to stop me from finding the good stuff.
What do you do after a big storm at the beach?
Thanks for reading,
Danny
 
Upvote 0
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

not that i know off....how can you close a beach....

they can however...and usually do here in florida....restrict access...make it hard to get over to the beach...

and you can walk along ways...the past couple of storms here in florida have seen the bridges over to A1A closed outbound...so you cant get over there...
people can however come to the mainland as a way of escape

i think the plan usually is to be where ever you want to be....before the storm gets to the beaches...
a couple of us have plans for hotels the full day before the storm gets here next time...
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

:coffee2:
after charlie came by i tried to go on melbourne beach and was asked to leave. security on 4wheelers were going up and down checking for looters but still asked me to go. 62 years old and fat i must have looked to be a threat!!
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

They dont really close the beach here, they close the road! HH
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Here in St. Johns County, there are only a few access points to Anastasia Island. One must have a resident pass in order to cross the bridges, if coming from the mainland. Of course, if you are on the island and never leave after the storm, then you are good to go. Also, we have 16 miles of beach where driving is allowed. They will close the beach access ramps until flotsam and other hazards can be removed and any erosion is regraded. I've never seen it closed to pedestrians.
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Yes the beaches are closed 2 days before the hurricane and 2 weeks after it's all over. This only in USA stay home and bake cookies. Metal detecting is very bad too! All the sand is gone
(can't dig in the hard stuff) and the target washed out to sea. HE HE ! LOL!
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Buried Crap NJ said:
Yes the beaches are closed 2 days before the hurricane and 2 weeks after it's all over. This only in USA stay home and bake cookies. Metal detecting is very bad too! All the sand is gone
(can't dig in the hard stuff) and the target washed out to sea. HE HE ! LOL!

Hey, I remember you :laughing7: I think everyone in NJ knows the beaches are only closed to swimming, but it was a good try :icon_thumleft: Our beaches are covered with surfers until the rain comes. Once the rain stops, those guys are there to catch the last rain drop too :icon_thumleft:
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Yes they will close the bridges if they are not damaged. They will set up road blocks on the beach road if you make it over the bridges. If you dont possess an ID that says you live there, you will not be able to proceed. And yes the lifeguards will also close the beach. But if you can make it over the bridge, through the roadblocks, you can usually access the beach from private property on foot.

Unless you have a local address ID, the only way to access the beach by vehicle is to be there before the storm. You need to find a safe hiding place to ride it out. Bring plenty of gas, tunafish, bread and fresh water. An old vehicle is a must because your paint job will be peppered. The best way would be to stay with someone that owns private property and a strong house.. I dont think thay can force evacuation.
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Buried Crap NJ said:
Yes the beaches are closed 2 days before the hurricane and 2 weeks after it's all over. This only in USA stay home and bake cookies. Metal detecting is very bad too! All the sand is gone
(can't dig in the hard stuff) and the target washed out to sea. HE HE ! LOL!
I guess you want the beaches all to yourself lol. Of course thats where the old heavy gold and silver will be on the hard stuff, on the beach.
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

bigcypresshunter said:
Y I dont think thay can force evacuation.

Well, they certainly try their best in several towns that are very prone to extreme flooding here. It's also a 2-way street, because sometimes they will close the only road into a town and you have no real way of getting in, that is unless you take to the water :laughing7:
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

bigcypresshunter said:
Buried Crap NJ said:
Yes the beaches are closed 2 days before the hurricane and 2 weeks after it's all over. This only in USA stay home and bake cookies. Metal detecting is very bad too! All the sand is gone
(can't dig in the hard stuff) and the target washed out to sea. HE HE ! LOL!
I guess you want the beaches all to yourself lol. Of course thats where the old heavy gold and silver will be on the hard stuff, on the beach.
I don't know what your talking about. When the red clay turns up it bad stay home. Just broken pieces of wood on the beaches. Stay home till I clean up the bad stuff. LOL!
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Buried Crap NJ said:
I don't know what your talking about. When the red clay turns up it bad stay home. Just broken pieces of wood on the beaches. Stay home till I clean up the bad stuff. LOL!

I'm curious what beaches you go to.. I used to love love Sea Bright, because of all the good places to eat that are close. Unfortunately if you have a heavy rain that town is under water. I'm down in the Toms River area now, but I've been too lazy to go out and hunt.. So, the more for you :headbang:
 
Re: So, do they "really" close the beach after a hurricane?

Buried Crap NJ said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Buried Crap NJ said:
Yes the beaches are closed 2 days before the hurricane and 2 weeks after it's all over. This only in USA stay home and bake cookies. Metal detecting is very bad too! All the sand is gone
(can't dig in the hard stuff) and the target washed out to sea. HE HE ! LOL!
I guess you want the beaches all to yourself lol. Of course thats where the old heavy gold and silver will be on the hard stuff, on the beach.
I don't know what your talking about. When the red clay turns up it bad stay home. Just broken pieces of wood on the beaches. Stay home till I clean up the bad stuff. LOL!
I guess there are different situations. But generally heavy metals such as lead, gold, silver will work their way down over the years until they hit hard pan or hard rock, hard sand, whatever. Here in Florida everyone knows a storm that cuts the beach down to bedrock is prime hunting at its best. I mean the very best.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom