So I want a Treasure of My own

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
In one way or another I've been inyerested in treasure hunting most of my life. From my earliest easter eggs, to my metal detector, ghost towns, ruins, local history and exploration, geocaching...to my latest gold prospecting adventure.

As I grow older, and realize my end is drawing nearer every day, I came yo the realization that i want to leave something behind......my treasure.

It may not be worth millions, but will be somewhat significant. It may not be sought after by anyone other than my family, but it honestly sounds enjoyable to work on in the later years of my life.

Has anyone else had this thought?

Ever seen any sites, or anything that may be of interest to someone like me?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this thought. I want to leave something for people to find. I've considered everything from burying my best finds, to producing my own coin that i can toss around in places i travel to.

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of us with children leave a treasure behind. .. a piece of our genetic code. Not many know it is more valuable then gold.
We all love physical treasure however the emotional treasure left behind that we know we raised them right may not be found during our life time when they realize what great treasure is instilled in them as a result of great parenting.

I know it’s not the treasure you are referencing but I have thought your exact same thoughts then realized that there truly is more I can leave behind that is NOT physical or tangible.

Best of all no body can ever steal this treasure from them that is found deep within.

Cheers

A90703FC-F832-45F7-8915-5D75E43FCA1E.jpeg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice post, Thank You for sharing! :occasion14:

Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an idea I've had many times. We're all out there hoping to find that magical Mason jar full of rare old coins. (As an aside, I once found a Mason jar buried under an old red brick sidewalk at a Colonial site, but turns out it was full of moldy marijuana seeds!) My point, though, is no one will ever find one if no one ever buries one. As avid hobbyists we sort of have a responsibility to the hobby to "re-seed" the field. I've kicked around ideas like a Mason jar or a metal box, whether or not to leave my grandkids a classic cryptic treasure map, or maybe multiple treasure caches with notes in each hinting at the others. Anything that I would love to find myself, within my meager financial abilities, of course. I once thought to write to Clive Cussler, whose literary fortune comes from books about lost treasures, to suggest he hide an interesting treasure with something from each of his books in it. Perhaps a suggestion that there are hints in each of his books to the location (which would increase sales of his books, by the way). I'd like to think that if I were crazy rich (which I assure you I am not) I'd find this an appealing diversion.

So, all you rich folk out there (Mr. Gates, Mr. Musk, etc.) get some folks working on this. My grandkids will be waiting for the adventure to begin!

If anyone has any ideas along this vein, let's hear them!

Raider

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Tpmetals idea. I've thought about hiding/burying gold/silver/finds, but I guess I'm too cheap to do that knowing what the chances of it being rediscovered are. On the other hand, having a few dozen brass tokens made with some info about me or something, bury one in each of my favorite detecting spots. Or, as I'm typing I'm thinking "combine them"... bury a more significant treasure, and have coins made with info that will lead someone to it

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good ideas in this post. I wonder how much it will cost to have 100 medallions made up. Then comes the task of putting the correct words on the coin. Something like, KEVIN O, "TREASURE HUNTER EXTROADINAIRE" Or something a little less humble. lol

chatterbait

Dec 27, 2016
Gloucester co.NJ
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4,AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about something not of value now but 1 or 200 years from now.Baseball cards,Trump stuff,newspaper or magazines(Which could be gone sooner then later)Just a thought.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. I want to go out flat broke - just two coins for Charon.

Any of my good "things" I hope to gift to friends and relatives while I'm still alive. Or THE ADMIRAL's second husband might enjoy them after I croak. In which case it won't matter to me.

Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about something not of value now but 1 or 200 years from now.Baseball cards,Trump stuff,newspaper or magazines(Which could be gone sooner then later)Just a thought.

like all my wheat pennies.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just checked and a 1969 vintage Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket is selling for $50. Another, older, is listed at $175.

My Dad always said save the things that't AREN'T collectible because no one else does.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread