SO IS IT STILL THERE?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Teens Pursued Tale Of Ill-Gotten Loot

By CHRIS ECHEGARAY, The Tampa Tribune

Published: November 16, 2007

RIVERVIEW - It was a search for buried loot that went awry, a tale that had grown about money and jewelry hidden near the Alafia River.

The teens had heard about a man who amassed a large sum of money along with a criminal record, according to Michael Eubanks, an uncle of two of the teens who witnessed the ammonia spill on Monday.

As the story went, Bobby Fellion, 28, had supposedly buried money near the Alafia River and told his sister about it before he committed suicide, according to Eubanks.

"He had told her that he'd done bad stuff and stashed it," Eubanks said. "The woman, someone we know, told the story while the boys were in the car. Because of this story they went out on their own, thinking there was money, a treasure."

The hunt prompted a 16-year-old boy to drill into the pipeline Monday, releasing a cloud of ammonia, forcing an evacuation of hundreds of residents near the river. The teen suffered second-degree burns from his neck to his groin. He was last reported Wednesday in stable condition at Tampa General Hospital, according to authorities.

It wasn't a search for ingredients for crystal meth as rumored, Eubanks said. He said he had spoken to sheriff's deputies about the story he had heard about the money.

Eubanks said his two nephews tried to persuade their friend not to drill. Once they saw he was determined, the two boys - ages 14 and 16 - started to run, Eubanks said. They had run 30 to 40 feet when they heard the explosion.

Eubanks said the three boys, all from Riverview, have been friends for many years, riding their bicycles in the neighborhood and having sleep-overs at their homes.

"They ain't never been in trouble," Eubanks said of his nephews. "The thing here is it just really got out of hand. They tried to stop the boy and there was no hope. My nephews are really upset and hurt over the whole ordeal."

Authorities have not revealed what was found at the scene. Debbie Carter, spokeswoman for the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, confirmed Thursday that the story about hidden money was passed around by a 27-year-old woman.

"We are not going to talk about items from the scene," Carter said when asked about money or evidence.

Carter declined to talk about Fellion as well.

Michelle Callahan, who said she was engaged to Fellion, said she didn't know about money that was reportedly buried or what he did to acquire it. She said Fellion died Sept. 4.

"It has nothing to do with me or my daughter," Callahan said. "He passed away and he is someone I loved very much."

Meanwhile, no one has been charged in connection with the ammonia spill that disrupted the lives of thousands.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an older thread, but I thought I would chime in on it, since it happened right down the road from me.

There never was anything there. Later, more detailed, reports made it perfectly clear that the guy that claimed to have stashed the "loot" was known for telling tall tales to make himself look like a "big shot". It is obvious from the area they live next to the bridge, that if there was something there that would cause them to "never have to worry about money again" as stated to the sister, they would have collected it and moved out of that area!

All that happened was hundreds, of thousands, of dollars was spent on the clean up and repair of the amonia pipeline, and thousands in lost profits by local businesses.

Now the islands down the Alafia river a little ways.....That's another story! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread