so many etracs for sale... how good is it really??

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly just people selling to finance a new CTX3030. Simple as that. Folks that have to have the latest and greatest. Nothing wrong with it (or them), and in fact quite a boon for those looking to get into an E-Trac.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
Thats understandable..... People are just so obsessed with the things that it has been surprising to see so many up for sale...i guess that makes sense though

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mostly just people selling to finance a new CTX3030. Simple as that. Folks that have to have the latest and greatest. Nothing wrong with it (or them), and in fact quite a boon for those looking to get into an E-Trac.
I agree

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, now that these ETracs are for sale, I've been holding out for one. Just when I had my mind made up on the Sov GT, they release the CTX3030. I hate being do indecisive.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've been waiting for an E-Trac then now if your time to pick up a good used one!

I LOVE my E-Trac! So far I have read reviews of the CTX that say it seems a little better than the E-Trac but not massively so. Still, with the cost of it, many people are forced to sell thier current model to finance.

earthmansurfer

Apr 3, 2004
Germany

If the E-Trac was better balanced, I probably wouldn't be getting a CTX. I know it's a bit absurd to spend so much money on a better balanced E-Trac, but I really liked the E-Trac but couldn't stand the "weight". Looks like the CTX corrected that via perfect balance. I guess with the extra features, waterproof nature, etc. I can almost justify the price (not really). But finding something that you just click with and then not being able to use it, is a bit of a downer, so enter CTX - taking a chance on it.

And now I hear the CTX is not really an upgraded E-Trac. The warble in the sound is gone, the way it works, though quite similar if you knew past Minelab machines, is different. Hopefully it works out.

Anyway, I sold the two detectors and coils I had and the price was essentially a wash (actually came out on top), so no real change in by pocket - pun intended.

Albert

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX-3030 appears to be a water proof Etrac as far as performance. It does have quite a few bells and whistles. Overall nice detector. However it is not lighter then the Etrac. CTX-3030 (5.2 lbs with batt.) Etrac (3.5 lbs excluding batt.) I would guess .2 to .3 lbs for one. Still over a pound difference.

It has been my experience with my EXP II and Etrac that if you get out often and dig often the weight is not an issue. Walking for a half hour strait with no digging breaks is a killer, but I can and do use both arms to swing.
Ed D.

richrider99

Mar 11, 2007
Puyallup,Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett GTA-1000, Garrett GTX1250, Garrett Master hunter 6, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett AT-Gold,Fisher CZ-5, Fisher CZ-6A, Fisher CZ-70, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher F75, Minelab Quattro, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just jumped from a Safari to the New CTX3030! Never had a Explorer or a Etrac I have had the CTX3030 a few days now & Wow what detector!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They are that good in the right soil conditions which covers 80 percent of the country. The Minelab etrac is extremely stable in the highest of EMI situations. Great depth, and very good target seperation abilities with the right aftermarket coils....The COILTK 10x5 JOEY, and 12x8 Platypus are the ONLY aftermarket coils you will need. Having over 6,000 hours on my etrac, I have tried all the aftermarket accessories available for the machine. I have tried them all. Only 2 coils are needed for this unit making it deadly in neutral, to mild mineralised soil conditions...Take it to the bank

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it, in the post. I must slow down when reading.

Mike,

What would those two coils you refer to be?

Ed D.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed, the coils are in his post. The 10x5 and the platypus 12x8,.

chasd131

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for a decent e-trac at a reasonable price. If anyone knows of anyone selling one for under $900 let me know. Thanks so much

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one less used ETrac around, got mine tongiht when I got home from work..........:headbang:

Colosprings73

Apr 17, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Fisher CZ3D,
Tesoro Tejon,
Whites 6000 di pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Detector Pro Pistol Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am one that just sold my ETRAC to another member (At a great price for him) to finance my CTX 3030, as well as two other machines.

I think because it:
target seperates better,
waterproof,
balanced weight
color screen
more readable in daylight (with a anti glare screen)
other bells and whistles
it justifies the up in price, maybe not quite as high.

I will miss my ETRAC, however tomorrow starts a new chapter for me in Metal Detecting.

HH

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope everyone dumping their E-Tracs doesn't turn out to be a rash decision.

The E-Trac has been tested, scrutinized and fully vetted. The CTX has not.

Personally, I would hold off awhile and see what the real truth is, not the hype.

What are the real strong and weak points to the CTX? Every detector has them.

Remember what the AT Pro went through?

The CTX may turn out to be a great detector, but I fear many will find it is no replacement for the E-Trac.

Kbron2000

May 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT ,Fisher F2 DD Coil, NEL Tornado Coil, Garret Propointer ....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Used Etrac Warranty is non transferable :( Ouch!!! Unless they did not fill the warranty form :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Used Etrac Warranty is non transferable :( Ouch!!! Unless they did not fill the warranty form :)

I saved $650 on a used ETrac in MINT condition I just bought, you can't tell its even been used....... You know how many trips that would pay for repair if it ever needed it....................

I have an Excal I bought used for $800, its been in the shop one time the last 4 years for a total of less than $100 in repairs....... Im still up $300 in saving on it over a new one.....

I have another Excal I bought for $575 used, it's been 2 years since I bought it and it's never been in the shop, I'm still up over $600 saved on it....

I just sold my Safari for what I paid for it, never been in the shop, no loss on it and the buyer gets a great deal on a good detector in perfect working condition $400 off what it would cost him new.......

I sold one other Excal I had for 2 years for $75 less than I paid for it used, it was never in the shop, buyer has never had a problem with it either....

I would say buying a used Minelab from a reputable member is a good safe deal......

electriceye

Jun 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac (purchase pending)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, let's see. I'm a newbie when it comes to detecting, but figure I will learn at my own pace like everyone else. I have been considering the E-Trac (new or used) as it sounds like a good all around purchase. If it is not water proof, however that may be a deal breaker for me as I intend to hit alot of streams, rivers and lake areas. Do they make a waterproof coil for it? The CTX3030 sounds intriuging as well, but not sure I want to fork out that much for my first good detector.

Another possible issue: I have alot of titanium in my body- 17 3" screws, plates and skeletized framework(unfortunately). Is this going to cause an issue with readings even though titanium is non-ferrous? I don't want to sell my beautiful pistol to get a super metal detector only to find I cannot use one...because I'm part terminator now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread