Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been taking it easy on CRHing but woke up hungry for silver. I stopped by a bank that gets some good stuff but like all banks it has a sniper or two and it has a CRH dumper or two so you never know what you'll get. I asked if they had halves and the teller set me up with $30. I asked for two rolls of dimes as an afterthought to spend the last $10 of $40 on coins. I looked at the halves and they were a bust. I went to a nearby dump bank and opened the dimes. Sweetness! First roll has 9 silvers! Next roll has 7 silvers! Oh heck yea. I dumped quickly and went right back.

The teller was super nice about getting in her line again instead of having someone else wait on me (she was helping another teller when I went in) . I explained that I love coins and I wanted to get a lot of coins to look at from her drawer. She was happy to oblige. Like I said they get dumps of all denominations so I knew it'd be tough.
She asked what i wanted, I asked what she had. The rolls were just your average green n brown customer rolls but a slightly different green and a brand of bank that doesn't exist anymore but the writing was hard to spot on the wrappers. How does one explain this to a teller? I asked if I could do $100 in dimes, $100 in quarters, $40 in nickels $10 in pennies and back to work. As she put the rolls in the pass box I could tell this shotgun approach was looking unsuccessful. I didn't see the green I was looking for. A quick glance in the car confirmed I had missed any additional rolls from that load.
I went to work and dutifully crunched the coins. It was most decidedly another CRHers dump. Not a wheatie, a war nickel, no early coins nothing remotely interesting. The soft paper indicated the rolls had been unfolded and refolded numerous times. I am sure you other hunters have experienced this.
I was a little chagrinned but wasn't willing to throw in the towel. I called the next morning and spent a half hour on hold before I got disconnected. I called back and " everyone is currently helping other customers" . X2... X3 ...
Called again and now its 1 pm. Change could be gone. the courier could get it or a business. Who knows maybe I got everything in one shot. If there are silver quarters I NEED THEM!!
I got through and they realized I had been lost on hold and put me right through to my teller. I took a chance and told her the logo on the rolls and explained I would take any denominations with that logo. She came back after ten minutes and said she had $8 in nickels with that logo. I said I'd be right there.
I grabbed another $40 in dimes and $40 in quarters just in case as well as the nickels. As I am waiting the guy next to me says " Let me get those there" and I hear that nice clink!!! I ask what he got and the teller next to mine had given him a few big dollars. Man I was kicking myself for assuming they wouldn't have new stuff and I hadn't asked again about halves and big dollars. Lesson relearned lol. I got 5 halves from that teller and they were a bust. Big dollars always sound nice when they clink and I'll never know what the other guy got but he hadn't asked for halves. He probably will from now on though. Ooops.
The nickels and quarters were a bust but the dimes were exactly what I was looking for. I can't fault her for not spotting the logo -its tough to see so she had overlooked it. I got nine more silvers so they weren't as good as the first couple rolls but no complaints here. I went back in one more time to make sure I cleaned everything out and by now they're getting a bit tired of me. I bought everything else that had "stripes " on the wrappers and I had already gotten everything.
In a three hour hunt I ended up with 8 40 % and 16 dimes. I went to 10 pickup banks, 3 dump banks and picked up and dumped $200 in dimes and $730 in halves. I averaged 4 banks an hour and could have been quicker if I wasn't searching and dumping on the fly.
I was also able to go back and get the last 9 silver dimes and satisfy my curiosity that no silver quarters were available and that I hadn't missed anything. That part is priceless. I also made friends with that teller and she'll definitely remember me lol.
I had missed 5 rolls of buffalo nickels at this branch last year by minutes so I'll keep at them.

Attachments

• IMG_20190926_151507094.jpg
    IMG_20190926_151507094.jpg
    937.6 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20190929_112252760.jpg
    IMG_20190929_112252760.jpg
    892.3 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Loved the story, and how very true, right place wrong time +\-.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, nice haul, Tommy...that's more than I've been finding in a week! Good story as well. I know the soft wrappers you are talking about - that's the worst! Too bad about the quarters...those are extremely tough to CRH these days.

-> I think that might be a 1981P in the bottom right, which would be clad, but I could be seeing it wrong.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sleepy hollow,
Man you have a good eye! It was in fact a 1981 so I threw it back. Thx

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
When I’ve been in that situation before and I go back, I level with the teller and tell them I collect coins and found some nice ones in whichever rolls - I be sued to describe them, if not I show an empty roll. 99% of tellers will happily accommodate you.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Former teller,
She must not have a great eye. She was able to ID the nickels but the dimes I just got by buying her out of "anything with stripes". I had provided the empty wrapper as well lol. I had to go through $200 to get the 25 but no complaints! I m glad I went back even if it was just to satisfy my curiosity.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TommyB, Nice story and finds. Those old wrappers from long-gone banks really raise the anticipation level, don't they? I think some bank customers must keep old paper wrappers for decades and finally fill them and bring them in. This summer, as I was leaving my bank with my weekly two boxes of halves, I saw a customer entering the bank with a plastic bag of old faded looking rolls to cash in. I put my boxes in the truck and went back and asked if I could buy everything they had just brought in. Only two silver dimes but one was a merc. But the nickels, which I never ask about, had some early scarce dates.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post makes me want to go to the bank lol. Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread