So new, Im still researching which detector Im going to buy

fanninm59

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
1. Harbor Freight 9 function. 2. Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So new, I'm still researching which detector I'm going to buy

Hello. I'm retired air force enlisted living in Peyton, Colorado. Still researching which detector to buy; VLF or pulse induction. I'm interested in coins, jewelry, relics, and gold (just like everyone in the hobby I guess). I'm considering Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark, and Nokta FORS Core pro. Also looking at White's brand. I hear that VLF might miss gold where IP will detect on gold. Still researching and would like learn more about the pros and cons of VLF versus pulse induction. My budget is under $1,000. I would like to search on land and shallow freshwater creeks where I can wade up to my knees, no deeper. In the air force I was an electronics technician, so I'm familiar with circuits, power, radio waves, electronic jargon etc. As a result I like what I read about Tesoro being focused on quality electronics instead of pretty displays. When winter is over here at 7,000 feet near the Rockies, I hope to have decided and purchased a new detector and get out there. Thanks for taking time to read this and I look forward to learning from everyone.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look into my eyes... Tesoro Vaquero with 11" x 8" Widescan coil... :occasion14:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard (and thank you for your service to our great country)! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Colorado for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Detectorist.CO

Jan 18, 2016
Denver, Co
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to TN. I'm up in the Denver area. Good luck with the decisions and thank you for your service.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many great detectors, so little time and money :laughing7: You are gonna have a great time.....

OP
OP
fanninm59

fanninm59

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you. I've seen many great reviews on Tesoro Vaquero. Great price point and electronics. I am leaning towards it. So the widescan coil too... I figure that means more search area and hopefully deeper target detection? Tesoro is at the top of my list. Also considering Nokta FORS Core. Good hunting.

OP
OP
fanninm59

fanninm59

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Jerry. I retired in May of 2001, before 9/11. My son is an Army combat medic, he has served four years and is using his GI Bill to go to nursing school. He is my real hero. Thanks again for the welcome. Looking forward to the new activity when things thaw out. Great website. Hope to meet you some day.

OP
OP
fanninm59

fanninm59

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Enginefitter. I originally hail from Fairborn, small town near Dayton, next to Wright-Patterson AFB. If you haven't seen the USAF Museum you should give it a visit. Thanks again.

OP
OP
fanninm59

fanninm59

Greenie
Jan 31, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks patiodadio, I see you own a White's detector. What do you think about the White's Matrix M6 Metal Detector?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So new, I'm still researching which detector I'm going to buy

MX Sport or ATGold (if you want to try nuggets) are what you would enjoy around creeks in the summertime. Welcome aboard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread