Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys!

I purchased a heavy duty sand/water scoop with a 6" diameter opening, 40" long and it was bulky and heavy. I'm 5'2" and no matter what I tried I just couldn't use it comfortably. I always felt it was controlling me and not the other way around. I only captured one target and I think it was by accident. I ended up selling it local at a loss.

I'm seeing difference types like cylinder shape, triangle, etc. I'm thinking that a smaller version of what I had may be just fine but I'd like to hear some of your experiences and what you liked and disliked.

I'd mostly be using it in fresh water. It's a little rocky around here. I'm not wading in past my waist so I'm not doing anything hard core. I'll most likely only be using it 5 or 6 times a season.

Your thoughts are always appreciated!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe a smaller scoop and a floating sifter.
44417d1332386620-scoop-beach-where-buy-rev-c-floating-sifter-resized.jpg

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like using my Sunspot Stealth scoop. Its Stainless Steel and comes in 2 sizes-8" and 10". I am 6' tall and 185 pounds and no difficulty using the 10" model. It is like a cylinder with an end that has a lip. I use mine in freshwater 90% of the time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt in the water the smaller your scoop the harder it is to recover a target. A floating sifter is good if you have no waves or swells but if you do they are a major problem also something else you have to carry to the water. I would suggest checking out a sunspot stealth scoop.

Last edited:

extreme detecting

Jun 21, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, XP Deus 1 and Deus 2, Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sunspot scoop although EXCELLANT is heavy for a 5'2" gal.
Hunting fresh water with rocks - you need stainless steel - you will chew up aluminum.
Get a smaller stainless steel scoop under 4 pounds.
Because you are in fresh water and not dealing with waves and only wading to your waist you can take your time to recover the target.
Remember - you need to really push hard on the back of the scoop with your foot to get it down deep and under the target.
The floating sifter should be helpful and make the job of recovery faster.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a aluminum scoop, I installed a stainless steel lip with rivets, over 2 years now and no damage to it old scoop was as as well and had to repair it due to damage, with the ss lip none at all...

OP
OP
Bev

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huh, good ideas especially the modification to an aluminum scoop, you have the lighter weight of aluminum but the strength of a stainless lip. Interesting! The thing with that other scoop was pushing it down with my foot, I just dont have the weight to get it to dig in, plus it kept pivoting (?) on it's side, rolling my ankle and throwing me off balance. I felt like I was trying to use a pogo stick instead of a water scoop! The floating sifter sounds like a good idea. I go quohogging once in a while and have a quohog rake and a plastic bucket that you fit an inner tube around the rim to keep it alfloat. Looking at this rake, I bet I could make a scoop-like device out of it with a little ingenuity! Swapping out the cage with something like chicken wire.(A quohog is a hard shelled Rhode Island clam by the way!)

rake.jpg

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone that watches "The Family Guy", knows all there is to know about Quahog's :laughing7:

Maybe you just need to wear heavier shoe for digging, a sneaker won't cut it in your case

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a custom made one from a member of this forum (don't remember who). it is in two pieces with a detachable scoop and a 12" handle for hunting in the beach sand. It is made from stainless steel and aircraft quality aluminum. It won't float so I attach it to my belt with a rope so I don't lose it in deep water. I could cut it off easily if it was too long with a hack saw. It is light weight and easy to carry around. monty

OP
OP
Bev

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh mannnnn, Family Guy! Yeah I'd like to say they're not typical Rho-dilanders but, just can't!
I like the rope idea too, I could see me dropping it and cursing! I used water shoes but my size 5's werent cutting it. I think if someone built one with a flat shoe shaped indent on the bottom of the scoop so that your foot didnt slip off the sides, it could help too. I'll have to start drawing up something- my neighbor is a machine shop tool maker!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with treasure hunter, I would recomend the 6 inch aluminum scoop with a lip modifacation, take it to a welding shop. I also believe your right when you hit a rock in the water you tend to roll to one side
it happens to me, doesn't mater what you weigh. Happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife has tried the Sunspot 6.5 Stealth Scoop SSS.jpeg

and the RTG 28"/5" STAINLESS STEEL BEACH SCOOP IMG_0262.jpeg

Even though she is a larger gal she has a hard time with the Sunspot, but loves the RTG. She says that even though it takes more tries to get the target (because it's smaller), she has more control over it. I like them both as they have been valuable at different places. The Sunspot is great when dealing with rocky riverbeds, it can dig down deep and hauls up a big mouth full of material. I have also found that its good when waves are coming at you and moving your target around, it can grab the target faster than the smaller scoop. The RTG is awesome in sandy conditions as the sand runs through it faster than the Sunspot (both used in the water, I have a third type of scoop for dry sand).

In order to give ourselves more weight in the water and counter our buoyancy, I have taken an old backpack and put a heavy duty plastic bag in it, filled with rocks or sand, some days more, some days less, so we can press down with more force and dig easier. Please be aware though, we are only in calm freshwater lakes and are not dealing with surf or currents. Hope this helps.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bev

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sunspot looks cool ill have to look into that one. It sort of what i was thinking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread